CaseLabs announces it has been 'forced into bankruptcy and liquidation'

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That’s not good news. Never used their cases but always look interesting.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
If the tariffs have shut them down so quick after being implemented, then that is clearly not what shut them down...

Gotta use any excuse you can for your crappy business management! What a joke.

Reactions: pgh5278 and William

sullivan

Mar 27, 2016
I own a number of CaseLabs cases, and they are wonderful. I will miss them a lot.

CaseLabs products were built primarily out of 2mm thick aluminum sheet. CaseLabs
itself was a pretty small operation, a long-time specialty machine shop that found a
nice little side business making high-end cases. They had a single building and not
more than a couple dozen employees.

The tariffs in this case are likely the aluminum and steel tariffs which went into effect
in early June. A small shop like CaseLabs (and many other specialty manufacturers)
cannot afford to keep large stocks of material on-hand. They depend on an efficient
supply chain, i.e. the ability to order more material on a day-to-day basis at consistent
prices to meet incoming orders

The supply chain for metal stock for machine parts is complex with multiple vendors
to go from raw ore to machining-ready sheets and bars. As soon as the aluminum and
steel tariffs were announced -- well before they were implemented, the supply chain for
metal stock started increasing prices. Availability dropped and lead-times went up.

From the point of view of small-business management, effects like this are real and can
drive you out of business very quickly.