Card recommendation to attach more 6tb drives to desktop.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jerry Woo CW

Apr 6, 2020
Hi!

I'm new to looking into hba/raid cards to expand my storage space in my desktop, can anyone recommend which card based off of which chipset should i buy just to add more drives to my desktop? I'll be using a couple of 4, 5 and 6tbs for this card. I just need my windows 10 to be able to access these drives and also get their smart info. No fancy raid needed, just need to get those individual drives recognised.

I bought a 1068e-r without knowing it cannot support drives more than 2tb, so bummer.

Thank you!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
H310 is newer than M1015, I forgot exactly which chip-set it uses.

I owned at least 8 x H310 ( because it is cheap , cost less than $20 each ) ,
it worked fine with 8TB, 6Tb , 4TB , 3TB SAS and Sata drives.

Jerry Woo CW

Apr 6, 2020
H310 is newer than M1015, I forgot exactly which chip-set it uses.

I owned at least 8 x H310 ( because it is cheap , cost less than $20 each ) ,
it worked fine with 8TB, 6Tb , 4TB , 3TB SAS and Sata drives.
I read online that they are both the same chip?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
They are the same lsi chip one is made for Dell one for IBM, and one has horizontal ports the other has vertical.

Depending on your board the H310 may require a covering of one of the pcie pins too.

The IBM version released first and some have older fw that were not validated for over 2 TB drives, but can be resolved with a fw flash.

The H310 was also used in workstations and seems more widely available.

Jerry Woo CW

Apr 6, 2020
They are the same lsi chip one is made for Dell one for IBM, and one has horizontal ports the other has vertical.

Depending on your board the H310 may require a covering of one of the pcie pins too.

The IBM version released first and some have older fw that were not validated for over 2 TB drives, but can be resolved with a fw flash.

The H310 was also used in workstations and seems more widely available.
I've a m1015 coming my way now, would you be able to link me to the correct firmware and flash tool?