Can't Putty into ICX6450

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OptimusPrime

Apr 21, 2020
I'm playing with my first managed switch. I picked up a 6450 from ebay. I've got a good working USB to RJ45 serial cable (linked here), and my Putty settings are correct (Correct COM, 9600, no flow control, etc.). However, I can't access the console via Putty. I only see a blank screen during and after the bootup.

Could anyone offer suggestions? Is there a way to test the console port to ensure it is not damaged?

In the Brocade Manual, the TX and RX pins are reversed from Cisco...I'm not familiar with how the equipment communicates. If I re-punch the RJ45 end and swap pins 3 and 6, any thoughts if that would work?

Last edited:

jezzy

Apr 18, 2020
Make sure it needs either a null cable or a straight through cable. I had the same issue this week! I needed a straight through cable.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Is there a way to test a console port to ensure it is working? Say with a multi meter?

You could find and read the pulses with an oscilloscope, or logic analyzer but most people here probably don't have one. A multimeter can't detect the faster pulses serial data uses.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
On my 6610, I had 2 serial to rj45 cables that didn't work and 2 that did. It's possible the pinout is incorrect on the serial cable. Pretty sure the Cisco one I have is one of the ones that does not work. An HPE 3PAR one does. I bought just a generic usb to serial (DB9) and used a DB9 connector that allows you to change the pinouts if needed.

OptimusPrime

Apr 21, 2020
Well, I was headed the DIY route...stuck the wrong pin in the wrong hole. Anyone have a pin extraction tool they prefer? Or should I just get the cheap one off Amazon?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
FWIW, and unlikely to damage anything if you are gentle. Try taking a (not eco friendly) cocktail straw (larger diameter straw might work) cut down to a length that works for you, cut a slit along the length, try and slide it down the pin and get enough compression and gently pull the wire out. I've been able to do this before a couple of times and then a couple of times not. in an emergency one must do what one must do. YMMV...

Reactions: Jason Antes

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
If you lived around the Twin Cities I'd just let you come test it with one of my known working ones or give you one of the several that I have.