Can't Log In To Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I appear to have successfully installed Proxmox but when I navigate to the address to log in it times out. I've installed it about 5 times now ust to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Not that there really is anything to screw up. The install process is pretty simple. The only thing I'm not sure about is that during the install it asks for a FQDN. Why does it need that? Any ideas? I'm positive that I'm adding the correct address and port and the address appears in the ARP table in PFSense.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you using https and port 8006?

Those are my two big gotchas

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
For the FQDN I entered a domain name that I own. Is that my screw up? I can't really find anything about this option. All of the YouTube videos and other tutorials I've watched and read about the installation gloss over this entry. When I enter nothing the installer barks at me.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
you mention you see the IP/MAC in the ARP table on the pfsense box, does that mean you're connecting to it over a routed network? Meaning, your PVE and client are not on the same broadcast domain? If so, did you enter a default gateway on the proxmox server? if not, it can't send return traffic to the router to be routed back to you... so you would see timeout...

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I did specify the router as the gateway. As it turns out the problem was the FQDN field. I reinstalled last night and used the default and now everything works!

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Reactions: Patrick and gb00s