Can't install Win PE on WSE 2012r2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
I'm trying to get the client restore service running on my homeserver running Windows Server Essentials 2012r2. It backs up all my PC's no problem, but for the first time since I moved from WHS to WSE, I had a machine crash and need to do a bare metal restore. Unlike WHS, apparently to actually restore a machine (or at least create the USB to boot off of), you need to have Windows Preinstall Environment installed (or WHS had it installed automatically).

The link that it comes up with is dead. Googling seems to indicate that that old version (Which appears to be the Windows 8 ADK) had some vulnerability in it and so MSFT stopped allowing it to be downloaded. The MSFT page says that the Windows 10 ADK will work fine instead. I downloaded the latest (2004) as well as the separate ADKWinPE file, and installed both. They both installed to the default directory. They both show in programs that they are installed. I've rebooted.

However, the Client Restore Service still won't start and tells me I need to install this thing! I've been searching the internet for a few hours and can't seem to find anything specific as to how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas?

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
That's not going to solve the problem. WinPE isn't on the install disk, it's something Windows has to go out and download, but now MSFT has made that file unavailable.

I may have found a work around if anyone else runs into this problem. I did the following and it appears to now successfully run the Client Restore Service:

1) I installed the Windows 10 ADK and ADKWinPe files (version 2004) on the new server
2) From an old version of the server (still had the drive), I copied the 8.1 folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\ to a USB drive then dumped it in the same spot on the new server
3) From the old server again, I copied the ClientRestore folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\ to the USB drive and then dumped in the same spot on the new server
4) Finally, I restarted the Windows Server Essentials Management Service in Services and now it shows that Client Restore Service is running.

Last edited:
Reactions: cesmith9999