Can't download drivers for Virident FlashMax II

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
Anyone gotten this to work with a more modern linux? I am trying am failing to get it to work on promox 7.2. I see some references to kmod-vgc package in some old install pdf but cant find the package anywhere.

root@rackserver:~# service vgcd restart
Job for vgcd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vgcd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

root@rackserver:~# service vgcd status
● vgcd.service - LSB: Virident FlashMAX Drive init script
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/vgcd; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2022-11-20 14:50:33 EST; 17min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 168506 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/vgcd start (code=exited, status=2)
CPU: 30ms

Nov 20 14:50:33 rackserver systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Virident FlashMAX Drive init script...
Nov 20 14:50:33 rackserver systemd[1]: vgcd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Nov 20 14:50:33 rackserver systemd[1]: vgcd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 20 14:50:33 rackserver systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Virident FlashMAX Drive init script.

I am working with the drivers found linked on this chain but here is the direct link Flashmax II & III

doctorobelix

Jan 27, 2023
Looks like the links are no longer working, anyone have the Windows and Linux drivers?

Just tossed a dozen of the 2.2TBs out at work.
Would like to play with linux and throw one in my hyper-v box.

Thanks!

linker3000

Mar 9, 2017
Hi All,

For those looking for Linux drivers covering recent distros/kernels, please be aware that the FlashMax drivers were compiled against specific kernels for a core set of default builds for common Linuxes, and then others were compiled upon demand, so unless there is an official driver set for your Linux version AND kernel level, you're going to struggle to get the card working with just any old driver set.

Considering the cards are getting a bit 'mature', now, I would not expect there to be driver sets available unless the build server still exists and is kept maintained by WD (or it was handed over to someone) - if so, yay!

Reactions: primelogic