Cannot make "gauge interest" posts, but I need to gauge interest...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
Forum Procedural question...

I know posting gauge interest posts are not allowed, but I have an opportunity to buy a limited number of DELL servers.
I would like to share the low pricing I'm getting with folks here.

My problem is that to get the price, I have to buy them ALL.
I can do this, but it would clean me out and so I would need to gauge interest before taking this step.

I read the rule and it says to do research and set pricing instead, but the problem isn't coming up with an attractive price, it's about the risk of buying the whole lot and then no one will buy them - even at a crazy low price.

I'm happy to post more details, but i fear that would just make this post the "gauge interest" post that is prohibited.

How should I determine interest so that I can know if i should buy the lot or not?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If its cheap enough i'd post a potential great deal
Else a regular deal (FS Forum) with the estimated buying cost and the information that you need 5/10/20 ppl before this can go forward (and of course al relevant details like location, if you handle distribution, if you need advance payment etc)
Don't think @Patrick would mind too much in this case

Good luck with this :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I guess go for it. Please at least explain what is going on in detail and maybe it is not a FS thread but a GC thread?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I guess go for it. Please at least explain what is going on in detail and maybe it is not a FS thread but a GC thread?
OP is interested in a Dell server but he can't buy just one, and is asking if anyone else is interested in also buying one. A bit like the Group Buys on CPU-World.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
I'm happy to build the post in a private message to you @Patrick.

This way it can be reviewed to verify it's not creating a double standard regarding the no "gauge interest" posts.
Alternately, there could be a gauge interest section created for things like this.

I'm happy to do whatever you feel is best.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
Here is what I can say my plan is so far...

1) I canl obtain 5 Dell PowerEdge FX2 chassis configured for 8 bays to hold 8 nodes.
2) I will also get enough FC430 nodes to fill all chassis - no CPU - no RAM.
3) The chassis can be re-configured to be FX2 or FX2s (has 8 removable PCIe slots)

I want to keep 1 or 2 chassis with servers and then sell the rest of the units at cost + shipping to pass on the saving of buying in bulk.

I will also source rails and other parts as needed/requested since i already have sources for those.
Each item added would bump the price accordingly.

In the end I would be offering 8 FC430 nodes in a FX2 (or FXX2s) chassis only about $3500 each (don't hold me to that - thats just a back of the matchbook estimate)

I welcome your thoughts @Patrick.