Cannot get Supermicro X10SDV-f to boot to USB SOLVED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I want to update the BIOS, so I am trying to boot to a USB stick that I formatted with RUFUS (with Far32, bootable Freedos) and loaded the BIOS files to it, but I cannot get the server to boot to that drive. Any idea on a setting?

Im logged into the SuperMicro box over IPMI. I have set the BIOS to boot from Dual mode instead of UEFI only and put the USB drive at the top, but, depending on settings, I either get it still booting to the Windows Server OS, or just going to a black screen and sitting there indefinitely.

(Also, as an aside, I am thinking of changing from this Windows based server in my house to a Synology NAS, although they seem to use fairly old processors.. still deciding on that...but any idea of the market for this Supermicro MB / Xeon d-1540 combo?)

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
or just going to a black screen and sitting there indefinitely
I hadthe same problem with my x10sra, freedos won't boot.

You can try to upgrade it with sum (in the superdoctor5 package) or over ipmi (requires the oob license).

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Well I used SuperDoctor, to update it from the Web GUI on the machine that SD was installed on... it gave me some instructions about running a command to delete the intel management engine, which I did, then a somewhat cryptic instruction about shutting down/rebooting in a certain way that I did not totally understand, but it ended up rebooting on its own anyway. The reboot was slow and ended up back at the windows screen. Windows was running somewhat slow, etc. I tried to verify that there was a new bios present or not in SuperDoctor, but it appeared to be the same old bios. I decided to reboot again to see if I could detect anything new on the startup. This time there was new graphics, and a slow boot, that eventually booted to the Freedos disk, lol! Since the first supposed Bios update in the GUI was so cryptic, I decided to run it again from the Freedos menu like I wanted to in the first place. It ran fine, updated, and now I am back with the new BIOS 1.2C with a 9/19/2017 date. So it was a roundabout way to get there, but it worked, and I guess whatever they fixed now allows the Freedos USB to work.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Try hitting F11 and select ATEN virtual CD rom.

Also to build Bootable disks try the freedos OEM cd builder. I don't remember the link but it's somewhere in the freedos website. I have used it to build bios/firmware update disks for Supermicro and HP Ilo and have never had an issue.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Try hitting F11 and select ATEN virtual CD rom.
I missed a whole chunk of text. It should read

Try legacy only instead of dual and hit F11 and choose your USB. Alternatively Mount the image directly via ipmi and Try hitting F11 and select ATEN virtual CD rom. easier than going the USB route.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
For future reference to others, I also struggled with this on my X11sat-f motherboard. I created a dos usb but it kept getting stuck at a black screen when booting.

Turns out you not only have to change the Boot mode to Legacy or Dual, but also make sure you change the option rom of your video card (either pci-e or onboard) to legacy as well. If the video is set to UEFI, dos will fail to boot with a black screen.

Reactions: nezach and dawsonkm

pradkasoc

Apr 27, 2020
hi @fmatthew5876 ,
I got into the same problem of display is dead after changing to legacy only option. but not changed video to legacy.
how do I correct it now? anybody can help?