Cannot expand Raid 5 array with new HDD (Adaptec 6805)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Antoine.

Oct 14, 2015
Strasbourg, France
Hi!

I own an Adaptec 6805 controller that I'm using with 6 WD Red 4 TB HDD on a single RAID5 logical drive. The controller works within a PC running Windows 10 Pro (64 bits).

I recently purchased 2 new HDDs: 2 WD Red Plus (4 TB), not EXACTLY the same ref (EZRX v. EFRX for the old ones) but they use the same technology.

I created a new array from scratch with 7 of the 8 HDDs (because one of the two new ones was bad), successfully. No problems (apart from the bad HDD).

I now want to expand the new logical drive with the additionnal 8th replacement drive. I'm mostly using Maxview Storage Manager for ease of use to do that:
- I initialized the new drive, successfully.
- I deselected the RAID consistency check.
- I select the logical drive, then "Expand / migrate logical drive".
- Select RAID level: I select the same RAID level 5
- RAID members: I see all the active HDD members selected, expectedly (marked "optimal"). I also see the new HDD I want to add (marked "ready", exact same total size) but unselectable: it's grey. SEE PICTURE 1

PICTURE 1.png

To make sure there wasn't a problem with the new HDD:
- I verified it, successfully.
- I created a JBOD array with this one new disk, successfully.
- I also deactivated the NCQ support from the controller properties since none of my drives support it (NCQ support = "false"). Not knowing what it was, I thought why not.
- here's a view of this drive: see PICTURE 2

PICTURE 2.png

I'm at a loss and hope you can help!

Sincerely,

Antoine

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think with the series 6 adapters you would need to initialize the new hdds before you could add it to an existing array, but I'm not sure as microchip changed that process to worse with the newer adapters (I have the 6805, 81605zq, 3162-8i and they all have different procedures)

Antoine.

Oct 14, 2015
Strasbourg, France
Thank you for your answer!

It is indeed imperative to first initialize the New HDD but it was already done.

I just noticed something new: i can expand my 7-hdd RAID5 array into a 8-hdd RAID5EE array with the new drive (it's not greyed out). But I still cannot expand the same RAID5 7-HDD array into a RAID5 8-hdd array...

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
try using internet explorer, other browsers do odd things with maxview

LordWeinreich

Feb 12, 2022
Im having the exact same problem trying to expand my RAID5 on an Adaptec 71605.
My drives are the same model, and im trying to expand from 3 disks to 4 disks.

I can also expand my RAID5 into a RAID6 or RAID10.

Reactions: Antoine.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you try to use arcconf (the cli tool)?
Screenshot 2022-02-13 121611.png

Arcconf has a lot better error messages...

(In my case it was exceeding the total stripe width of 10MByte)

Reactions: Tom5051

LordWeinreich

Feb 12, 2022
Hi i386 (and Antoine.)

Here is a paste of what i wrote in ARCCONF:
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator1\Downloads\msm_windows_x64_v2_05_22932\cmdline>ARCCONF MODIFY 1 FROM 0 TO MAX 5 0 12 0 13 0 14 0 15
Controllers found: 1
Reconfiguration of a logical device is a long process.  Are you sure you want to continue?
Press y, then ENTER to continue or press ENTER to abort: y

Reconfiguring logical device: LogicalHDD1

Command completed successfully.
I think i was successfull?
I can still se all my files, and in maxView it says "Migration/Expansion logical device: controller 1, logical device 0".

Thank you for suggesting using ARCCONF!
Normally im not really comfortable using a CLI, im always afraid of screwing something up...

If you want to try it using ARCCONF, Antoine, be sure to use the "Reported channel, Device" numbers ;)

Reactions: i386