Can you "shuck" HP Smart Carrier Drives for use in Non-HP systems?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Not sure if removing a drive in a caddy is really "shucking" but you get the idea.

Anyone know: If I remove these drives we got as a donation (at a non-profit I volunteer at) from their carriers and use them for use in reconditioning other brand equipment, will they work? I'd hate to install them, run some cursory tests and think its OK, only to have users have issues down the road. I'm assuming at the very least that there'd be no firmware updating without an HP machine, but I have no idea if there's any other proprietary aspects.

Thanks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
No firmware update easily but generally they will be fine , normal SATA and SAS drives no issues.
thats from HPE servers, you have to reformat disks changing block size from some storage products though.

Reactions: Markess

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
FYI HP generally screws with the firmware so they don’t report full SMART data. That being said, I have a 1.92TB HP branded SSD in my desktop and it works fine.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I have intel HP ssd and it works great either, but like Skud say no real usable smart data can be read from the ssd using the normal tools.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Finally got back into the shop and someone decided to buy them just the way they were from the resale part of the operation, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

But...

Hp, putting the proprietary in industry standard.

That's really funny. I'll have to remember that one! ;)

Last edited: