Can you replace drive bays on HP Proliant Servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jacob Du

Nov 21, 2017
Hello
Sorry if this question is really stupid but is it possible to actually replace the hard drive bays on an HP Proliant Server? (HP Proliant SE316M1) Its a 6th Gen 1U. I got mine off ebay and unfortunately the seller didnt mention that it had 8 2.5" bays and returning it would cost more than the server did itself. I did some digging at it seems people have them with 4*3.5" bays instead and its exactly what I need(https://www.amazon.com/HP-ProLiant-SE316M1-2-66GHz-2x250GB/dp/B011NTVLAE). Is it possible to do something like this or do I just need a different chasis? The problem is I have 4 3.5" drives I want to use as a NAS Server and again returning those would also cost a lot in shipping as I did not get them from newegg or amazon.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don’t know about the 1u servers but in the 2u DL380 the chassis is actually different (longer, even has different rack rails). Not much help I know but maybe check the length in quick specs as a clue.

Jacob Du

Nov 21, 2017
I don’t know about the 1u servers but in the 2u DL380 the chassis is actually different (longer, even has different rack rails). Not much help I know but maybe check the length in quick specs as a clue.
Im not sure what youre implying. I am trying to see if I can remove or replace the hot swap HD bays itself because there seems to be models with 3.5 inch bays instead and there arent any room for 3.5 inch drives

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am saying I know know this model but certainly in current gen9 DL range rack servers on 2ru variety it’s not possible to swap as the chassis is different between SFF and LFF models. I don’t know for that server only pointing out it certainly won’t work for others so check closely before ordering parts,

Jacob Du

Nov 21, 2017
I am saying I know know this model but certainly in current gen9 DL range rack servers on 2ru variety it’s not possible to swap as the chassis is different between SFF and LFF models. I don’t know for that server only pointing out it certainly won’t work for others so check closely before ordering parts,
Oh ok, thank you. Yea I might have to get another server and just keep this one for some other use

Jacob Du

Nov 21, 2017
Do you think it would be possible to order a different chasis and just put this into it? Or would the front pins not be correct?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Do you think it would be possible to order a different chasis and just put this into it? Or would the front pins not be correct?
In general I would assume yes, in the 2u servers the difference is only at the front, the board area all looks same from memory.

Did you have the server already ? Maybe look see if there appears to be room and mounting holes for the 3.5” bays ? In older servers and 1u I really don’t know if they were different, it’s also quiet possible they may not have been, I don’t have and 3.5” models of older type to look at.