Can the S2600CP(4) Integrated SATA controller use large Drives (8TB)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

banterboo

Nov 1, 2018
Should be a simple question right?

I have an intel S2600cp4 and bought 2x 8tb WD drives. When I went to plug them in to the board, I notice that the drive spins up, but the motherboard is stuck at post (won't boot and can't get into BIOS).

I mess around with some of the settings in the BIOS after unplugging the drives, coming across the setting for EFI optimized boot. Plug in the drives once again, and now I can boot to an OS and get into the BIOS, but the drives still don't show up.

I confirmed that the SATA ports do work with various drives (all less than 1TB), and the cables are good too.

I would sincerely hope that the board could support drives bigger than 2TB but when looking around for a solution I found: Maximum Logical Drive Capacity Supported on SAS Intel® RAID...
This got me thinking... can this board really not support drives >2TB?

Well, I put this question to you guys. Help me figure this out. :)

thanks

edit: well, i guess i can close this thread because i've answered my own question. yes it can support 8tb drives. doesn't solve my problem however, there seems to be an issue passing through the drives to the host os.

For the sake of documentation, pressing ctr+i before post with quiet boot disabled you can enter the intel rapid storage technology enterprise (rste) console thing... this allows me to see the drives and confirms that they are in non-RAID mode. This in theory means they are being passed to the host os but this (at the moment) doesn't appear to be the case.

I will update as I learn more.

Last edited:

banterboo

Nov 1, 2018
Just to double check, but have you checked if the 3.3v pin is causing issues?

How to Fix the 3.3V Pin Issue in White Label Disks Shucked From Western Digital 8TB Easystore Drives
Thanks for replying :)

Yes I've done that, both of my drives are shucked from wd my books.

Interestingly I got them working. I'm not totally sure what did it, but I changed several things in the BIOS such as controller mode. Currently the drives are plugged in to the AHCI compatible controller in AHCI mode.

Later I'll post some of my relevant BIOS settings in case someone else has the same issue.