Can someone recommend a a <$200 case for X9DR3-LN4F+ ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Hi guys,

I have the X9DR3-LN4F+ motherboard. This board has 24 DIMM slot and is an extended-SSI form. I am looking for a reasonable 4U case that can fit this motherboard.

Supermicron website has the compatible cases listed but I don't want to spend for than $200 or so for a case.

Please give me your recommendations. I have a Newegg (RSV-L4500) cases and it doesn't seem to be wide enough. Part of the mother board is blocked by the power supply.

Thanks

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Used SM sc846/sc216/sc826 come to mind. You did not say if you needed hotswap chassis/backplane or qty of disk bays desired/required so I am assuming/guessing/throwing popular options out there. May have to go to a $300 chassis budget depending on backplane requirements.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I actually prefer one w/o the backplane. I don't care about hot swap. Around 12 drives is all I need.

I can get a SC846E1-R900B then junk the backplane. However, I've heard the power supply is loud. I also prefer a chassis that takes typical power supply.

What are my other options?

thanks

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I did a test fit of the motherboard to the case (RSV-L4500) last night. For the most part, things work out great. The motherboard overhangs a little more than an inch so there's no motherboard support post underneath that edge. I just put a thick high density foam under there and everything seems solid.

Because of the overhang, the power supply won't fit in the tradition position. I mounted an ATX power supply horizontally right on top of the memory bank for CPU#2 (no customization needed one of the power supply mounting hole lined up. The other 2 screws mounted thru the mesh. The last screw lined up with the edge). There's enough clearance to install the memory there w/o removing the power supply. 2U CPI cooler should fit. I didn't go that far.

The case is very quiet.