Can I use the BPN-NVMe3-216N-S4 backplane with any SC216 chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DRW

May 1, 2021
The backplane has Oculink x4 (SFF-8611) connectors, not slimsas. So no.

As to why I want to use pcie switches vs direct attach, I think that's the same reason you use any kind of expander. I want some of my motherboard pcie slots for networking and other stuff. I also don't anticipate needing immediate access to every single drive, all at the same time.

Also my understanding is that switches are functionally retimers. I know gen 3 is less tricky as far as signal loss goes, but I doubt having something on the JBOF side cleaning up the signal is going to hurt me (and possibly is necessary).

Last edited:

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
My bad, I should have read the data sheet:
"The NVMe ports, designated CN1 through CN24, are used to connect the OCuLink cables."

Reactions: DRW

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
No, i don't. i have assembled some servers, but have no mind how to deal with these 24 cables, if you connect all of them.

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Which famous orange site are you referring to?;)
Sorry, was out a bit. It's serverschmiede.com
BTW, may be interesting for some
Looks like one may buy this SuperMicro 1028U-TR4+ 1U SFF Server w/ X10DRU-i+, DUAL PSU, AOC-UR-I4G, DUAL PSU | eBay
($250 accepted) and Supermicro BPN-SAS3-116A-N10 10-Bay 2.5" SFF 4x SAS3 10x NVMe Hybrid Backplane | eBay ( also $250 is ok) and then add original risers (4 port - cheap, 6 port - not) or some pci-e retimers, switches or whatever and build fast enough, up to 10 nvme system for reasonable price

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
pci gen 4.0 works on the N4 etc backplanes, which are older than this, so it should work

but yes ts, pleas try!
From reading/watching a lot of L1Techs content, seems like cables and adaptors with pcie gen 4 are quite finicky.

Sounds like you gotten other NVME backplanes with the OCuLink connector on the backplane to work at Gen 4 speeds - which cables worked? My plan was to order these SM cables….

Reactions: ano

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
From reading/watching a lot of L1Techs content, seems like cables and adaptors with pcie gen 4 are quite finicky.

Sounds like you gotten other NVME backplanes with the OCuLink connector on the backplane to work at Gen 4 speeds - which cables worked? My plan was to order these SM cables….

What card/HBA did you plan to use?

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
My plan was no card to start - just the H12SSW-NTR since it has PCIE gen4 slimSAS connectors right up front close to the backplane for the first 16 drives.

Reactions: awedio

sash

Nov 22, 2019
I am putting together a system based on CSE-216 chassis. Just grabbed the last one on eBay for 350 and a new backplane from wiredzone. Planning to use these cables:
and

First one will go into three AOC-SLG4-4E4T cards and the last into two MCIO ports on the motherboard ASRock SPC741D8UD-2T/X550.
I will have to use ATX P4 to Molex 4-pin coverter cable to power the backplane https://www.sfcable.com/atx-p4-to-molex-4-pin-power-cable.html
Hopefully it will all work OOB and I would have no problems. I probably will be short one 8-pin 12V power connector for the motherboard.

Reactions: Iaroslav

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
I am thinking about this for some weeks since I stumbled upon a CSE-216BE16-R920UB "new open box" really cheap.

I have a few questions:
  • Backplane: You always talked about the BPN-NVME3-216N-S4 in this thread. I would prefer the BPN-NVME4-216N-S4 found in AS-2114S-WN24RT. Any reason to stick to the older one except for price?
  • Power connectors: My case comes with an old PDB-PT829-S8824 and does not have the power connectors needed. Unfortunately the website for the AS-2114S-WN24RT seems to have many copy/paste errors. First of all the pictures are all from the older AS-2113S-WN24RT. Second it lists the same PDB but the backplanes have different connectors 4x 4pin vs 2x 8pin. Those 8pins are smaller than EPS but I only found cables to connect the power connectors on Supermicro Ultra/Hyper-style boards to this backplane.
  • Next thing is the compatibility of the PDB with the case. There is at least another style like the PDB-PT825-8824 found in 825/826 cases and as long as I don't know if the original PDB of AS-2114S-WN24RT will fit my case, I can't start shopping for parts because in the end this might break the built and I would resort to mimicking the older AS-2113S-WN24RT (PDB fits my case, cheaper mainboards in used market, cheaper retimer cards but not gen4)
I would really appreciate any info about the parts found in original AS-2114S-WN24RT! Other cables like I2C etc. could be helpful as well. Unfortunately the public documentation of these systems is much worse than for the Ultra/Hyper systems using the BPN-NVME4-216N-S4

sash

Nov 22, 2019
I am thinking about this for some weeks since I stumbled upon a CSE-216BE16-R920UB "new open box" really cheap.

I have a few questions:
  • Backplane: You always talked about the BPN-NVME3-216N-S4 in this thread. I would prefer the BPN-NVME4-216N-S4 found in AS-2114S-WN24RT. Any reason to stick to the older one except for price?
  • Power connectors: My case comes with an old PDB-PT829-S8824 and does not have the power connectors needed. Unfortunately the website for the AS-2114S-WN24RT seems to have many copy/paste errors. First of all the pictures are all from the older AS-2113S-WN24RT. Second it lists the same PDB but the backplanes have different connectors 4x 4pin vs 2x 8pin. Those 8pins are smaller than EPS but I only found cables to connect the power connectors on Supermicro Ultra/Hyper-style boards to this backplane.
  • Next thing is the compatibility of the PDB with the case. There is at least another style like the PDB-PT825-8824 found in 825/826 cases and as long as I don't know if the original PDB of AS-2114S-WN24RT will fit my case, I can't start shopping for parts because in the end this might break the built and I would resort to mimicking the older AS-2113S-WN24RT (PDB fits my case, cheaper mainboards in used market, cheaper retimer cards but not gen4)
I would really appreciate any info about the parts found in original AS-2114S-WN24RT! Other cables like I2C etc. could be helpful as well. Unfortunately the public documentation of these systems is much worse than for the Ultra/Hyper systems using the BPN-NVME4-216N-S4
According to FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. the main difference is in hybrid drive support. I wonder if BPN-NVME3-216N-S4 can sustain NVMe4 drive speeds.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
I wonder if BPN-NVME3-216N-S4 can sustain NVMe4 drive speeds.
I guess it will be more of an compatibility thing. Some drives probably won't link at gen4 at all with BPN-NVME3-216N-S4 and SlimSASx8 -> OCuLink cables. I want a system that works with a wild mix of drives so I am eager to avoid compatibility issues as long as its easily possible.

According to FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. the main difference is in hybrid drive support.
The backplanes have completely different connectors for data as well als power, so I guess the answer from Supermicro is simplified with a user in mind who wants to know what he can get on the highest level.

sash

Nov 22, 2019
Put all hardware parts together and tested the system today. No issues! That is a great relief. Retimer cards are working fine with ASRock board with only BIOS bifurcation.

Reactions: ano