Can I use the BPN-NVMe3-216N-S4 backplane with any SC216 chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Power connectors are different... maybe you can use adapters (molex to 4 pin)?.

But the issue might be where to find it;)
Nevermind, seems to be available ... nice find :)

binarymonkey

Feb 23, 2022
Yeah that is where I first found it :D

What kind of power connector would I need. From the drawing it looks like a 4 pin ATX connector

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So you never got the backplane and can't comment on it - too bad;)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's a LOT HBAs needed. Why not get the other older model that doesn't need so many?

24x NVME use a LOT of power but I'm interested to see what kind of performance you can get :) :)

What CPU\RAM\MOBO did you pair it with? Networking?

DRW

May 1, 2021
That's a LOT HBAs needed. Why not get the other older model that doesn't need so many?

24x NVME use a LOT of power but I'm interested to see what kind of performance you can get :) :)

It's probably a dumb idea but the plan right now is for this to be a JBOF with several PCIE switches in it and maybe a GPU or two depending on how efficiently I can tetris stuff around in the chassis. I've got a lot of work left to do, cables to test, etc. I'll make a separate thread about it if it works out. This is lowish priority hobby stuff, so it might be a while.

Reactions: T_Minus

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I think its brilliant, this is dirt cheap 24 x nvme

figured out the power connectors yet? I think you can get molex to 4 pin, but check pinout, Im also betting it will sync pci 4.0 wonder about 5?
new h13 has native support for pcie slimline connector on mobo x3, so thats 6 drives just from motherboard, then 2 pcie adapters, and you got 6+4+4

awedio

Feb 24, 2012

Which HBA & cables are needed to feed 24x NVMe?

Reactions: Iaroslav

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I think its brilliant, this is dirt cheap 24 x nvme

figured out the power connectors yet? I think you can get molex to 4 pin, but check pinout, Im also betting it will sync pci 4.0 wonder about 5?
new h13 has native support for pcie slimline connector on mobo x3, so thats 6 drives just from motherboard, then 2 pcie adapters, and you got 6+4+4
Which MB are you looking at?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I'd still do it via another "regular" style h12's like -i or -n

the AOC-SLG4-4E4T x5 that takes x16 and passes it out (4 drives) and you have 7! pcie slots, not all x16 though, but 5 out of7, you can do 8x from the remaining x8 drives on similar pcie card, so you can get a lot of nvme, on single cpu.
basicly you can do ALL 24x on nvme and still get another 10/25/100 gig card for the X8, or shuffle a bit, and save a X16

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Interesting project!
Like they say about every all-nvme chassis - "To maintain quality and integrity, this product is sold only as a completely-assembled system"
I was looking for similar builds years ago and luckily found 2029U-TN24R4T on one famous orange german site for around $1000 - bought few.
Now can't find any interesting deals for 24 or even 12 nvme and I'm close to order something new like:
Though I'm Intel only for more than 10 years, but this one is a killer for the price:
2114S-WN24RT | 2U | A+ Servers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. - not a surprise, this chassis houses mentioned BPN-NVMe3-216N-S4, but only one x16 pci-e is avaliable in 24x nvme config