can i use nvme ssd with lenovo NX360 M5?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I will like to use NVME drive as data drive for lenovo NX360 M5 ===> Lenovo NeXtScale nx360 M5 (E5-2600 v4) Product Guide (withdrawn product)

Will have regular SATA SSD for OS install but NVME SSD for data storage

Is this possible? any restrictions on type of NVME i can use?

from this link https://download.lenovo.com/servers_pdf/00mv789.pdf (page 92)

i see one can use these intel NMVE drives

Flash adapter, P3700 1.6 TB Enterprise Performance NVMe 00YA813

Flash adapter, P3700 2 TB Enterprise Performance NVMe 00YA816

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
NVMe SSDs are PCIe devices and should work in any system with PCIe slots (assuming you don't need to boot off it).

Some servers (Dell especially) will throttle up the fans if you put in cards that aren't OEM branded, but that's the only thing that I'm aware of to keep in mind.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
NVMe SSDs are PCIe devices and should work in any system with PCIe slots (assuming you don't need to boot off it).

Some servers (Dell especially) will throttle up the fans if you put in cards that aren't OEM branded, but that's the only thing that I'm aware of to keep in mind.
if this is true then why is that they say older servers do not support nvme? when many old servers support pcie?
so are you saying any server that support pcie will support the nvme for that pcie?

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
the problem with older server is that the system firmware does not have the UEFI drivers (called DXEs) for NVMe devices. so, unless the NVMe device has its own OPROM, it won't be seen as a bootable device. What you can do is put a bootloader on a different type of device or try and dynamically load the DXE from a flash drive in an EFI shell if the system allows it (not sure about lenovo).

I was able to modify the system firmware and put the correct DXE in for generic NVMe on Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F+ a few years ago and NVMe drives did start showing up as a boot device without any assistance from a separate bootloader. I don't know anything about your machine, but maybe some of this helps.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
the problem with older server is that the system firmware does not have the UEFI drivers (called DXEs) for NVMe devices. so, unless the NVMe device has its own OPROM, it won't be seen as a bootable device. What you can do is put a bootloader on a different type of device or try and dynamically load the DXE from a flash drive in an EFI shell if the system allows it (not sure about lenovo).

I was able to modify the system firmware and put the correct DXE in for generic NVMe on Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F+ a few years ago and NVMe drives did start showing up as a boot device without any assistance from a separate bootloader. I don't know anything about your machine, but maybe some of this helps.
I wont be using as a bootable drive like i mentioned
so does that mean the nvme drives should work with older servers then?

the boot/OS drive will be regular SATA SSD but the nvme will be used as a local storage drive
so far i got confirmation that the server does support the Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series which are PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe

so my last question is can i use newer pcie nvme? or i has to be PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Newer would work though you would be limited to PCIe 3.0 speeds.