Can I use an M.2 2230 slot for an SSD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I have an SFF server as a kind of experimental box on my home lan. It's based on an ASRock Rack E3C236D2I mini-ITX mainboard (see ASRock Rack > E3C236D2I) and mounted in a M350 chassis (see M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure). It's pretty packed in there, with 2x 2.5" HDDs and a Pentium G4560 plus low profile cooler.

When I bought it, an M.2 PCI-e + SATA interface was advertised as a feature, which I was depending on using. However I didn't read the specs closely enough, assuming that I could install a Samsung 950 series SSD with no issues. I only discovered how tiny (30 mm length) the M.2 slot is when I went to use it. It's listed in the manual as a 2230 form factor, and the manual says that it supports both PCE-e and SATA.

So my question is this: Does anybody know how I can use it for an SSD? I've asked around in other forums, i.e., Reddit.com, and the answer was that I can put a WiFi adapter in there, but sticking a WiFi adapter in an otherwise useless interface to the PCI-e bus is the most common, shitty consolation prize that manufacturers tend to offer. You see this sort of thing a lot with laptops, which don't allow anything except for WiFi cards due to a whitelist in the BIOS. And besides, who ever heard of a SATA WiFi card?

Any suggestions for how I can use this for something useful, such as an SSD as I originally intended, would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

Kind regards,

ubk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
A quick search reveals
Toshiba Announces New BGA SSDs Using 3D TLC NAND

Toshiba's BG1 series was first previewed at CES 2015. That first generation uses a PCIe 2 x2 link and implements the NVMe 1.1a protocol. The BG1 is available in capacities of 128GB and 256GB either as a 16mm by 20mm BGA package integrating both the SSD controller and NAND flash, or as M.2 2230 removable modules.

Now where you can find a BG1 is another issue;)

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Thanks for the info @Rand__, that is most helpful. For some reason, my web searching didn't turn up anything useful. At least now I have some chance of acquiring something useful. I guess this means trolling the forums and ebay. Aside from ebay, Reddit, and STH, and maybe HeatWare (which I've never traded on, only used as a reputation page) can you recommend any other forums?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Anand or TomsHardware have some tech orient folks too - more consumer level but who knows...

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Thanks @Rand__!

I'll poke around Spiceworks too, which is another server-orientated site which I haven't even tried to engage with properly, yet. HardForum is nice but seems to be orientated towards gamers, not to mention the fact that I haven't earned privileges to post in their marketplace forum.

webhostingtalk.com is a great forum, but they only offer their marketplace forum to premium members, i.e., you have to pay USD 50 per year for access.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Most of the smaller SSDs I have seen are 2242 for example.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hi @Patrick, I saw a few 2242 SSDs too, but that was as small as they went. I find the presence of 2230 interface so bizarre as to be somewhat perplexing, as in, what on earth where the engineers thinking?! I did see a few adapter cables that effetively converted the slot into something like a U.2 interface, but the chassis most certainly is not designed for this sort of thing, and besides, it's already jam packed with hardware.

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
If you really want to use it, you can get a M2 to PCI-E adapter and then a PCI-e to M2 card...

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
There's a kind that uses a ribble cable on the m.2 side. Probably they also make a m.2 to m.2 extender.