can i mix ram sizes and speeds???

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
so a few weeks ago i picked up a used Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ V1.20A with two 10 core cpus and 32 gigs of ram 4 8 gig sticks not sure of the speed im gonna assume its ddr3 1333 but i cant be sure since im not home i have several stick of 4GB ddr3 pc3 8500 both the 8gig sticks and 4gig sticks are ecc registered ram can i mix them in my server or will it cause issues? i know ram will downclock to the lowest speed but i am unsure if i can mix 4gig and 8gig sticks together nor am i sure if the ranks of the ram matter as i know some server ram comes in 2 rank 4 rank 8 ranks etc

one more thing if i have say 4 8gig sticks with 8 ranks can i mix them with 4gig sticks that have say 2ranks or 4 ranks?

heres a link to the mobo i bought in case it helps Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ V1.20A LGA 2011 X79 FW Updated Includes CPU 1 Year War! | eBay

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
You can mix all sorts of stuff with that generation hardware, including capacity, speed and rank configuration (although I believe 8R RDIMMs aren't supported). The key is to put it in the system in the correct order & location. In addition to the motherboard manual on the Supermicro site, you should probably check out Supermicro's memory guide for the X9 generation Dual Processor motherboards: https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/memory/X9_DP_memory_config.pdf

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
 Unbalanced memory configurations will result in a performance loss so always populate memory channels evenly for best performance!