Can I mix and match memory in X8DTU-F ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Even with case mods and external fans replacing the screamers the power supply most likely has a fan that's loud, it will be really hard to get it silent enough for under table / same room type of usage IMHO.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Would like a HP ML350 be better for home use?
From a form factor perspective yes, you can place it in more locations without taking up big amounts of floor space.
Noise wise should be better as pedestal servers are not designed with density in mind so has less aggressive fan profiles. Just how quiet I can't comment, if noise is a big concern you're better off building your own with low power parts

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
Thanks for the info, I just hope this machine is quiet - i understand initial boot up is loud but hope it quiets down.
I've done some research and compared the fans in your machine with a server that I've got which is this Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 1U | SC813MTQ-350CB and the fan noise levels on the Supermicro system fan matrix Supermicro | Support | System Fan Matrix are within 3dB of each other. My machine quietens down after initial boot to a level where it's not audible from 12 feet away. Your PSUs are gold level as is mine so they will be quiet as well. I'd be inclined to buy it and see what it's like!

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
A follow up I got a DL380 G6 but i wanted to inquire if I have 12 sticks DDR3 PC-10600R, can I add 6 more sticks but of a different type, like DDR3 PC-8500R?

Thanks!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Cool! Congrats!

Different Type - Would be IMHO "brand" differences.
Different Frequency - Would be what you mentioned, no problem with that as long as you know it will run at the lower speed on all.
Different CAS - Used with frequency to dtermine actually performance of said RAM.

For most home ESXI 1333mhz or 1033mhz is fine, no real noticeable IMHO.

Buying new, DDR4 then I just went with 2133 even though you could save a couple dollars at lower freq/cas.