Can i have access to internet by a home server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fallguys

Aug 20, 2020
Hi, i'm gonna to build my first server at home with like zero knowledge, well i did research to know more but i can't find the answer for my question.

Can i server at home with multiple port network like the supermicro H8DGI-F plug in to my pc i will able to go to internet?

If it can, then a sfp+ 10gb card will be able to use as transfert data and network ? With some manipulation

Or i will need to have a cable connect to the router and one to the server ?

In the schema is the ideal I want for the connection. The red line is the 10gb cable and the other is Rj45 the regular cable.

Attachments

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Ideally, you would connect one ethernet port on your server to the modem, one port to the router/switch, and have the server also act as a router/firewall for your Internet connection to the PC or any other clients on your network. This is because from a feature/security/performance perspective you will get a lot more out of rolling your own firewall than whatever is on the consumer router/ap/switch.

Of course connecting your server directly to the Internet will expose your to a ton of security issues, so if you're not familiar with how to secure an Internet facing host or configure a firewall you can use the router/switch/AP as your Internet gatway. Modem-Router - then connect both server and PC to the router.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
BTW, the typical user of this site would consider this a very basic scenario, so if you don't recieve a ton of feedback you might consider some other forums that are more catered to introductory concepts in networked computing.