Can ASRock even be taken seriously?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I don't think I've ever seen another company that makes announcements and doesn't get their product into distribution like ASRock. They announced Xeon D offerings quite sometime ago which never transpired. They have now announced their C236 boards which are still nowhere to be seen. Why advertise if you can't produce. Frankly I'm surprised this site gives them the time of day.

Hopefully these guys can improve. Right now it seems like SuperMicro is the only game in town.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
ASRock Z170 Extreme7+

and as I remember they were the only ones with 10gbe onboard in the retail market this year.

When they make this board a dual xeon it is going to be spectacular at $240 maybe I should just buy two and split the difference. 3 m.2 slots

They are an odd company but they certainly try interesting things where most of the others aren't willing to stray from the standard recipe.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
iirc, the facebooks and DCs were eating up the Xeon-D supply almost entirely.
May be an Intel problem as much as a board vendor problem.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
iirc, the facebooks and DCs were eating up the Xeon-D supply almost entirely.
May be an Intel problem as much as a board vendor problem.
This is the case. There is a reason we do not have the Gigabyte board also. I was offered a pre-production ASRock Rack Xeon D but I want shipping silicon.

And a bit of context, I went to Taipei to check them out and it was a bigger operation than I expected.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
To be fair, other than Supermicro I don't think I've seen any C23x boards from other vendors available over here in europe either and even the SM ones are still only available from niche vendors.

None of the xeon-D's seem to be making it into the retail channel except in the hands of SM. One would imagine that because SM boards are used in so many whitebox products and appliances that that have some sort of special early-bird arrangement with Intel's supply chain that gets them at the top of the queue.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I take them seriously enough, I just picked up one of their C2750D4I boards for a secondary storage system(offsite for Disaster recovery) and i'm impressed as hell comparing it to my existing equipment(mostly e54xx chips one g1 e5 and one g3 e5)

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
X99 workstation boards nowhere to be found. C612 boards not in stock. Skylake boards not out. Xeon D boards not out. Published specs - look cool.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
X99 workstation boards nowhere to be found. C612 boards not in stock. Skylake boards not out. Xeon D boards not out. Published specs - look cool.
Xeon-D is an intel issue...
the others... meh
Either high demand or low volume.
Frankly unless you just neeeeed IPMI get their desktop X99 boards over the workstations...
They take RDIMMS and Xeons... I have an extreme 6 in that config and it rocks.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Xeon-D is an intel issue...
the others... meh
Either high demand or low volume.
Frankly unless you just neeeeed IPMI get their desktop X99 boards over the workstations...
They take RDIMMS and Xeons... I have an extreme 6 in that config and it rocks.
Good to know re Xeons + ECC.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Hello All, first post here.

I contacted Asrock Rack about E5 v4 Support on the EP2C612 WS board, the board did not support v4 processors just then because they are still working on support for the server boards first.

So they set up a lab bench just for me and sent out a beta bios (2.1) with v4 support that you cannot download from their website yet, although you need a v3 processor to flash the board. Here it is for the bold of heart https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14401470/P2612WS2.10

The guy I emailed with had a great command of english and provided basically direct access to the bios team there. Make no mistake, Asrock Rack is a player.

Joseph