Can anyone help cool my drives in Fractal Node 804? All drives 40+ C

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I'm not sure if the brand and model of drives actually matter, but it seems results are unanimous. I have fan for intake and exhaust on HDD drives' partition.

Attachments

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Fans are connected to a switch in the case that only gives you 3 options, low, medium, high.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I have the same case, my two WD RED 6TB drives are 31C
I have all the fan spots filled in the case. For the HDD area make sure you have 3 fans in place (where red X are in the image) then make sure they are pulling air from front and sending it out back. Finally if you are using the built in speed controller try setting it to the fastest settings.
upload_2017-5-9_8-41-8.png

Reactions: T_Minus

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I have the same case, my two WD RED 6TB drives are 31C
I have all the fan spots filled in the case. For the HDD area make sure you have 3 fans in place (where red X are in the image) then make sure they are pulling air from front and sending it out back. Finally if you are using the built in speed controller try setting it to the fastest settings.
View attachment 5467
Thanks, exactly what I need. Will give it a try. BTW, are you using stock fans?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
No I wanted it as quiet as possible so I added 5x ARCTIC F12 PWM PST - Standard Low Noise PWM Controlled Case Fan with PST Feature.

Reactions: T_Minus

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hello Marcoi,

I bought 3 Noctua NF-P12 PWMs to cool my Fractal Node 804. NF-P12 PWM

I can now hear the fans revving up time to time, to speed seemingly past the specs. 1,890 RPM. Is this a concern? Specs says
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%)
1300 RPM

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@jang430 I'm not really sure about the fans. On my build I have aio cpu water cooler so I never hear the fans speed up. I also use the built in fan controller on the case to control the fan speed on the HDD side. Looking at ipmi fan speed currently are 700 and one at 1400 which I believe is my aio cpu cooler.

I would email the manufacturer and ask them your question. It might be the pwm controller on the fans is modifying the signal and saying it's faster then the real fan speed.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@marcoi, thanks. I guess what I need to fix is the control of the fans, prevent it from revving up and down. Someone suggested above I check bios, and maybe ipmi too. Thanks

@azev, it's the default interface for Unraid NAS

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Zathras

Sep 15, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not sure if the brand and model of drives actually matter, but it seems results are unanimous. I have fan for intake and exhaust on HDD drives' partition.
What kind of drives are you using? Those temps are really high! I have the same case loaded up with all 8 in that side of the case (6x 2TB, 2x4TB WD Green, so low power) and three stock Fractal fans running at about full speed. Here are my numbers for drive temp (the blocks of 4) and fan speed. Your fans should be easily cooling most drives at any reasonable speed unless your ambient temp is very high.
hddtemp.PNG
fanspeed.PNG

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hi. I am using several Seagate 2 TB Green drives. WD Red. I used stock fans, and set to high. I get 45 degrees or so. I finally decided to move the stock fans to the other side, side of board. Though not needed. I bought Noctua NF-P12 PWM fans, thinking the IPMI will speed it up and down as needed. I am now faced with 2 issues, when it does speed up, it goes beyond 1300 RPM, when in fact the specs say that's the max speed. Then it goes down to below 400, due to the motherboard Supermicro X9SCM-F. It goes up and down all the way. And yet, with that kind of noise, temperature didn't come down.

It could be I pushed the case too near the wall at it's back. It is placed on a bookshelf. My next to-do is to bring it out of the shelf and see what happens.

Up to now, don't know the command to type on ipmi settings still.

Do you have stock fans 2 at the front, and 1 at the back?

HOW come you can see RPM when you are using switch of case to control RPM, and not the motherboard?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I think you mean WD Green drives. They should run a lot cooler than you see.

Look at this thread to define the fan thresholds in ipmitool. That should help resolve the fans spinning up and down issue.

fan speed PWM (4-pin) oscillation

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
K D, on another forum, I was instructed to lower the critical threshold lower than what is existing as well. For some reason, my motherboard doesn't want to accept the value 100, not 150. After trying to change it up and down with no success, I ended up putting back 475, the lowest non recoverable threshold. Low and behold, it doesn't rev up and down now. But when checking my ipmi, I see fan is running at lowest non critical, 540 RPM. Though not noisy anymore, my HDDs are at 54, 55, 56 degrees. I have also moved my NAS out of it's bookshelf to open space, yet I have this problem.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Are you sure you have the front 2 fans set to intake and the rear as exhaust? Confirm that and set the fans to full-speed and monitor the drive temps.

Try replacing the noctua P12s in the intake with Arctic cooling fans or noctua ippc fans. The P12s are good case fans but are not great at pulling air through drive cages(low static pressure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Pretty much sure I have it correct way. But will triple check. Can I get it to max without changing 4 pins to 3?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
You should be able to set the fan profile in the motherboard to full speed.