Can a Win10 Home license from a compute stick be moved to other hardware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

I'm looking at a local lenovo compute stick (atom based) that comes with a Win10 License, however I want this stick to use linux, but I have another PC that could use the Win 10 license.

Does anybody know if I can transfer the Win 10 Home license to other hardware?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
probably not.
most often than none this things come with OEM licensed which is tied to the hardware.
it can not be moved.

you can only reassign a retail license some times.

sporker

Jan 24, 2017
Canada
My understanding is that post-anniversary update, if you log in with a Microsoft account, you are able to associate your license with that account. If you then log in with the same account on a new computer, it *may* be possible to re-activate on the new hardware. Phone activation may need to be used. This probably only applies to retail licenses.

I haven't had a need to try this, so maybe someone else can chime in if they have tried it.

You can check what product channel the installed license is on by typing slmgr /dlv into an elevated command prompt and looking at the 'Product Key Channel:' line. If someone out there has one of those Lenovo stick pc's they might be able to check it for you to see what type of license is used.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
OEM licenses have keys embedded in the BIOS/EFI. if it works good for you.

Chris