Cabling of IBM M1215 in 2U cases

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
6Hey,

I own several IBM M1215 controllers and I mainly use them in 2U cases.

However, it always bugs me that the cabling is very unclean. Due to the position of the SFF8643 ports on the IBM M1215 controllers, I have to bend the cables quite a lot in order to fit into the case.

Are there any (cheap) alternative angled cables? Like the Lenovo 00FC263, but longer?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Ohhh, this one looks really interesting!

Thank you for the hint. I must have missed this cable every time I've looked into the Supermicro cable matrix in the past.

I think I am going to order one and see how good it fits!

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... I must have missed this cable every time I've looked into the Supermicro cable matrix in the past. ...
And, the reason that I DID find it, is because I was NOT looking for it ...
I saw your post the first day, and nodded in empathy, since I have a related issue, except I would benefit from right-angled SFF-8643, to U.2/SFF-8639. Se la vie.
Then, two days later, I was seeking out some arcane tidbit on the HPE P822 SAS2 controller, which I deduced was based on the Adaptec/PMC 78165; then, while perusing that data-sheet, my eye catches "or Adaptec's first to market right angle connectors" [in a paragraph on the new (2013) MiniSAS HD connectors]. Well, thinking back to your post, I Google'd for >>adaptec sff8643 right angle<<, and the 7th hit (though "Missing adaptec") was that SM cable--which, like your Lenovo reference, is a dually.

In case any future seeker happens on this, the Adaptec cables are singles, RtAngle-to-Straight. Part numbers are 2282800-R (100cm) & 2282500-R (50cm). Orientation of the RtAng:
Adaptec-sff8643-RtAng.jpg

Reactions: NablaSquaredG