Cable management - leave slack for re-termination or adjustments?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I'm wondering is it good idea to leave some sort of slack or a small loop on cable runs to the switch/servers or patch panels so you can either reterminate connections if needed or move stuff around?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
always always leave enough slack to be able pull the server through the rack forward if it's on rails. Less cables you have to pull out and put back in especially if you have bonded networking in place. This may cause you to leave the smidge of a bigger cable loop but it's worth it.

Use velcro for everything not zip ties, never zip ties, F*** zip TIES!!! Zip ties are the spawn of the devil, perfect for equipment that never changes (Audio speaker runs, car projects, hanging things) never for server/computer equipment in a rack.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
always always leave enough slack to be able pull the server through the rack forward if it's on rails. Less cables you have to pull out and put back in especially if you have bonded networking in place. This may cause you to leave the smidge of a bigger cable loop but it's worth it.

Use velcro for everything not zip ties, never zip ties, F*** zip TIES!!! Zip ties are the spawn of the devil, perfect for equipment that never changes (Audio speaker runs, car projects, hanging things) never for server/computer equipment in a rack.
Any pictures? All the pictures I've searched are perfectly 0 slack at all. Should I just put like a half circle of slack or a full 0.5ft radius loop? I currently have it in loops but it's sorta messy so I want to redo my rack.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Are you using rack mounted server with Rails? That's the only end I'd leave slack in, the loop in the patch panel and going into the switch you don't need any slack or space if you are using cable management devices which I highly suggest.

This isn't mine but it's an example where you can have some cable off to the side in a loop.

Yes there are Zipties but this picture for a more permanent solution in a network closet:

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Permanent cables that are run through walls or whatever should have some slack left in them - they might need to be modified/re-terminated/etc. during their life and you don't want to pull new cables through walls and such. The extra slack on these cables can be hidden away in the walls or whatever.

Patch cables in racks or elsewhere don't need to have any slack - just swap with a longer cable if more length is needed in the future. The slack just gets in the way, takes up a lot of space, prevents airflow if the bulk is too much, etc. Even on servers with sliding rails I usually don't leave any slack anymore - if I need to work on the server it will get turned off and unplugged to pull out of the rack. The only time I would consider leaving enough cable to pull the server out while connected is when using the proper cable-management arm in the back - but those things block so much airflow when full of cable in a rack of densely mounted 1U/2U servers that I rarely install the arms and just keep all that cable out of the way.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Hmm will take that into consideration. Yeah some servers are on rails but I will move 1 or 2 on a fixed rail/shelf.

I have finger managers for my switches, but haven't put them in, not sure how long to run the cables between switches etc.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It's just my preference but I don't leave slack for sliding out servers UNLESS using cable arms (and then it's not really slack 'cuz it's tied down to the arm). The slack cables just get in the way once the rack starts to get full.

Reactions: TuxDude

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I try not to leave much slack anymore when racking. Unless the server needs to be partially slid out of a rack to hot-swap parts the server will get shut down and cables detached anyway to pull the server out. I just keep a roll of painter's tape in my tool bag so I can keep the cables in the same general area and put them back in the right place while doing maintenance.
And +1 for Velcro is the answer, Zip ties are only used by people who want to get yelled at later by the folks actually fixing things :)

0dd

Oct 25, 2014
my personal preference is that structured wiring (between patch panels and jacks) should have slack hidden somewhere near each end. wire in the racks should be as short as reason and cleanliness allow.

This is due to the time/costs required to fix wiring. leaving slack in structured wiring allows for re-termination and/or minor moving of cabling. where as short cables in the rack are easer to follow and keep organized.

0dd