cabinet heat map

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,

Does any one know of a tool to do a cabinet heatmap? 2d or 3d, ideally based on snmp queries...

Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So doesn't look like there is anything.

I guess I will cobble together a script to extract some data and throw that in excel or a webpage.
Seems to need ipmitool for SM boards as there is snmp support only with superdoctor, and a couple of snmpgets for UPS/switch etc.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Somebody asked me about this the other day and I said we don’t do it...Guess it’s also not easy to do.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I think I found a way. Not really simple, not really covering everything, but not too bad.
Still trying to get some addditional data points integrated like Supermicro PSU data/temps and Netgear S3300's temps as well.

But i got a bunch of others in my map:
cabinet_heat_map.PNG

I ended up setting up an Observium monitoring server which can do SNMP&IPMI queries.

Then I hooked up Excel to the embedded mySQL DB and extracted the relevant data and mapped it to my rack layout.

Might need to convert this to a website after all, easier then opening Excel all the time.

Reactions: _alex and Evan

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So... this never really got used due to the need to open excel...

Had some time at hand and saw some nice PHP weathermaps (while looking for network mapping) - some of them had temperature monitoring on it so that got me thinking ...

Here is the first result ... Will need to beautify with nicer colors, maybe add some fancy images for cabinet and individual servers and so on but the basic functionality is there :)

upload_2018-7-22_22-5-25.png

Reactions: Tha_14

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
Gonna subscribe to this thread because I need the same sort of concept but for light intensity. Liking how you have this done.

In the past I would've done a custom GIF with slots 'milled out' for temperatures from a photo. I'm too lazy now.

Reactions: Tha_14

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thats my current state of work
upload_2018-7-26_12-38-35.png

but I like the photo idea... will not be more work than I had planned for this way.

And yes the drives are hot ;) Not comfy with it but to cheap to turn on the AC for 8 hrs a day with our current temperatures:

upload_2018-7-26_12-42-8.png

Edit: Just realised I didn't mention that I switched to librenms in the meantime ;)

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Another update - added ESX (internal) smart data (by ssh) to get vsan device temps (single cache & capacity)

upload_2018-7-28_22-33-54.png

Still need to find some nice icons and better colors ;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So, probably I will leave it at this for the time being unless I do find a way to get Cisco Small Business temperature data after all..

For those who wonder - Ouside and Garage come from smart home devices (FritzDect 200), APC stuff with temp sensors (maybe going to add humidity if I can get em cheap), esx leftmost value is Mainboard (IPMI), then CPU (IPMI) and then its VSAN Cache and Capacity drive via ssh script from the individual esx boxes. FreeNas HDD/SSD Temps via Smart integration

Using different scales so all components are colorized according to actual vendor specified operating temperature range (o/c with my personal preferences).

Same can be done with power utilization or fans as well :)

upload_2018-8-5_19-43-40.png