CA: WTB: X10SDV-7TP4F, A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, DDR4 ECC RDIMMs and NAS HDDs while visiting San Diego

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Hey,

I would like to know what would be the best place to acquire, at the cheapest price, the X10SDV-7TP4F and A2SDi-4C-HLN4F motherboards, some DDR4 ECC RDIMMs and potentially HGST or WD Reds/Golds for a SA120 and HGSTs for a 4U VM host. I can consider other HDD models and brands if justified, I am slightly confused with the mixed reviews for the Ironwolf models... capacity should be 8 to 10TB. Prefer He filled disks (for temperature and power draw).

I would like to know any suggestions for where to look for sales, and authorized resellers for the Supermicro gear. I am not a CA resident but I know even as a visitor I might have to pay sales tax... this might still be much better than EU prices, so responses and PMs are welcome.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
where are you visiting from?

I don't know of any resellers based out of San Diego area that sell Supermicro though... not saying there aren't any, but for me it is easier to just order online and have it shipped.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Southwest Europe, but I own and work for a business stateside, we are setting up a lab at my location so I can work without all the latency issues of remoting everything.

Any specific vendors you recommend? For the HDDs I have yet to decide, heat and noise are big factors, as the rack is in a small office next to the desk. Considered high capacity HGST, and WD Reds or Golds for the DAS, as they tend to have very poor thermal performance unless the fans are going full on jet engine :(

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i see... for the lowest priced 8TB WD Red/He HDDs, if the timing is right, you can pick up the BestBuy Easystore 8TB USB external drives and take the drives out to use as regular HDD. The sales go on every now and then (see the deals section here) for between $120-$160 per 8TB.

for US based ebay vendors that sell Supermicro stuff, I've had good experiences with tamsolutions (in Utah) and MET/theserverstore/pdneimann (in Texas) for used/refurbished. For new, wiredzone.com. i'm sure there are many more...