C6220 IPMI raw fan control no longer working?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rmzg

Feb 8, 2017
So I got a C6220 version 1 earlier this year with 4 nodes and things have been pretty great, except for the fan noise. So I did a lot of googling and eventually found this post: [Poweredgec-tools] C6220 ipmi fan speed raw command?

Which says:
Code:
ipmitool -I lan -H <IPMI-IP> -U root raw 0x30 0x19 0xa0 0x00

ipmitool -I lan -H <IPMI_ADDRESS> -P <IPMI_PASSWORD> -U root raw 0x30 0x19
This worked great at the time and I successfully manually set the fan speed to 50% or whatever and things were back to being great.

However, just recently I had some power issues and long story short, now when the nodes are powered on I'm back to getting 100% fan and when I try the raw commands above all I get is:

Code:
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x30 lun=0x0 cmd=0x19 rsp=0x81): Unknown (0x81)
I feel like I'm going crazy. This used to work great, I even wrote the code down, but now, nothing!

I think maybe I updated the BMC version to the latest 2.53 but I have no idea if I did it while the command worked or not. Does anyone have any ideas?

Shane

Aug 4, 2018
Not familiar with that hardware, but I know I get that error if my dedicated IPMI port is not connected. So I would check to make sure you are getting lights on that ipmi port, power surges and all.

rmzg

Feb 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check into that, but since this is a blade chassis, as far as I can tell it doesn't have an ipmi port, when I load the BMC page I have it set to 'shared port'. Also, other ipmi commands such as 'sensors' return data successfully, would this imply that things are plugged in correctly?