C6100 xs23-ty3 Node workstation (pinouts etc)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
OS x 10.8.2 installed successfully. Dell c6100 node, Antec 1200 case, Modxstream-pro 500W PSU (with modified 12pin cable), GeForce 9800 GT 1 Gig video (PCIe ribbon), QVS USB to 2.1 Stereo Audio, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1Gig Nic (only one working), 2x24" Hp LP2475w.
Xbench score 209, Geekbench ~12000 for multicore.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
WOW! So you basically just cut away the metal between the rear I/O shield and the first expansion slot and it fit? That is a great idea. Scary thing is that I was looking at those pictures thinking: "I bet you could fit a mITX system in there somehow too."

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
WOW! So you basically just cut away the metal between the rear I/O shield and the first expansion slot and it fit? That is a great idea. Scary thing is that I was looking at those pictures thinking: "I bet you could fit a mITX system in there somehow too."
Yes and no. I tried hooking my old quad core Core 2 Duo MB with the C6100 node. It did not boot. Maybe there is a way to do it by fixing the PSU.

I did this project coz I was able to get a real cheap c6100 node. Otherwise I would go with 2 or 4 node c6100, cutting opening for the PCI ribbon and attaching the video card externally.

As is, this server is very limited in upgrades... the funny thing is, so are the Macs these days. I have a decent video card, sound, USB, Nics (only one working). Take this $300 chineese ripoff case!!!!!!

I wanted to get mezzanine card for sata III, but there is so much heat coming off that chipset I would have to make custom cooling.

Last edited:

carlding

May 14, 2013
OS x 10.8.2 installed successfully. Dell c6100 node, Antec 1200 case, Modxstream-pro 500W PSU (with modified 12pin cable), GeForce 9800 GT 1 Gig video (PCIe ribbon), QVS USB to 2.1 Stereo Audio, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1Gig Nic (only one working), 2x24" Hp LP2475w.
Xbench score 209, Geekbench ~12000 for multicore.

Awesome! BTW, any chance to get the node into sleep mode?

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
Awesome! BTW, any chance to get the node into sleep mode?
This is not so easy in this case. You have to deal with both hardware and software. My setup stays always on (shortened green-black contacts), so I don't really need the sleep mode.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Still waiting for the lower voltage DC-DC boosters to arrive from china so I can try using normal ATX psu with these systems.
And another thing, I'll have to do a cpu swap to my ESXi servers soon, so i'll proble the FCB -> Node communication then, hopefully to find way to boot these systems other way than from the i/o area button.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
I'm hoping of doing the same thing, except I plan on using it a node for my home nas, I soldered the 12pin Female header from the imposer board and solderer that directly to the CPU + GPU power cables on my PSU (it was a Roswell so I don't really care). What did you end up doing for heat sinks, I think the default heat sinks are kind of out of the question as you would need to mount fans right on top of them to use them... Any ideas on a couple small QUIET heat sinks that wouldn't require switching the back plate on the CPU?

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
I'm hoping of doing the same thing, except I plan on using it a node for my home nas, I soldered the 12pin Female header from the imposer board and solderer that directly to the CPU + GPU power cables on my PSU (it was a Roswell so I don't really care). What did you end up doing for heat sinks, I think the default heat sinks are kind of out of the question as you would need to mount fans right on top of them to use them... Any ideas on a couple small QUIET heat sinks that wouldn't require switching the back plate on the CPU?
I also thought I could use some fans with the original heat sinks, but the heat coming off those CPUs require really powerful fans, which would turn the whole thing into 747. I used Supermicro heat sinks with whisper quiet fans (included) from newegg.com. Those are really big but mounted to the c6100 node fit into the 5.25 width.

Don't forget about the cooling for the chipset - gets extremely hot.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
Ended up just putting some 140MM fans on the side of the server and mounted them down. Pictures to follow.

Edit: Pics

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Finally got my DC-DC boosters from china today!
And success it is. My C6100 node works perfectly with ATX psu :p

Everything that I needed was boosting the 5Vsb from ATX psu to 12Vsb and taking PS-ON signal from frontpanel connector.
I will post video about it soon as i can, my cameras battery failed on me while recording :I

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
There. The quality is bit horrible but that's the only camera I got...
[video=youtube;ryZ3-Ir0n3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZ3-Ir0n3o[/video]

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Hey guys!
Here's basic pinout for any one who wishes to use the PSU with it's backplane on certain projects.

Pretty basic, pull the PS_ON pins low and the psu will start feeding power through HDD connector and designated MB power connector, pull both MB PS_ONs low and you get power out both of them :)

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Any thoughts on looking at the 500W C6100 PSU ?.

It has ATX motherboard connectors, would presumably supply the correct amount of 12v feeds and is US$24 + shipping with lots of stock available (well 10+ listed).

Perhaps more interesting would be a look at the power board it connects to as that may be possible to use for a standard ATX PSU.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
That PSU is for the older LGA771 C6100.

Also it's not standard ATX, sure it's cheap and there's plenty of those, but why bother?

With power board you mean which one? The backplane which the C6100 nodes connect to?