C6100 xs23-ty3 Node workstation (pinouts etc)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Made this thread for those who are looking into running a C6100 xs23-ty3 node outside the rack chassis.
I also might do one as I've extra node and LiLi PC-A06B chassis I could use for it :p

HOW TO PROPERLY CONNECT C6100 NODE TO ATX PSU

Pinouts: (I'll add pictures later for power and Front panel.)
Power
Connector: Molex Micro-fit 3.00mm pitch 2x6pin (0430251200 should work)
Purple: 12V standby
Yellow: 12V
Black: GND

USB
Connector: Molex Picoblade 1x8pin (0510210800)

Front panel: (So far found)
Connector: Molex Milli-grid 2.00mm pitch 2x6pin (51110-1251)
Pin1 (red wire): PS_ON, like in normal ATX psu. Pulls down when system wants power.
Pin2: Unknown data line, looks like BMC is trying to contact fan controller etc. Out going traffic.
Pin3: Unknown(+3.3V)
Pin4: Power button
Pin5: Unknown(+3.3V)
Pin6: GND
Pin7: ID Led toggle +3.3V
Pin8: ID Led toggle, once when ID led is on this pin is pulled to 0V.
Pin9: Unknown (+3.3V)
Pin10: Unknown (0V when machine is powered on, +3.3V when off)
Pin11: Unknown (+3.3V)
Pin12: Unknown (+3.3V)

PSU:
Check this post: #36

In short:
-It should be possible to use normal ATX PSU, but you need DC-DC Booster to raise 5Vsb to 12Vsb. (I'll test this soon as mine arrive).
-I've not found a way to start the system from front panel connector.

Edit list: (GMT +2.00, DDMMYY)
21:50, 160913: Added connector types and manufacturer numbers.
20:02, 131213: Added pwr_button to FP pinout and confirmed it :)
19:56, 171213: Added PSU pinout.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very cool project. Let me know if you want to put it up on the main site as you get further along.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
To add a bit more, the power connector is standard 18 pin micro-fit. I've successfully managed to make a single adapter that converts ATX Connector + EPS12V to the micro-fit and got the board to boot successfully.

Are you sure the board fits into the lian-li? I'm finding it hard to find any cases that would actually support the length of this board without significant modding.

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
I did try to connect the node to my PSU through 2 8pin connectors with 12V (custom cord) - unsuccessfully.

I made a custom cord with the pin-outs described here (Yellow: 12V Black: GND Purple: 12V was regular Yellow: 12V) and used the power source from my workstation. I tested the cord and it had the voltage described. Then I connected the node to the cord with my old MB attached to the same PUS - nothing. Even my old Mb refused to boot. I guess the PSU dsnt like this setup.

I want to test the setup with shortened green and ground pins on the MB main power connector.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
You must mean 12 pin mirco-fit :p
I don't mind heavily modding my lian li case, got it years ago and I've already done changes to it. All I know it fits length wise.
If somebody got extra fan board lying around I could have a look at it, quite possible that the front panel power on is controlled by smbus. Or if you got a good digital oscilloscope probing the pins 2 & 4 while power on could be useful.

Last edited:

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
You must mean 12 pin mirco-fit :p
I don't mind heavily modding my lian li case, got it years ago and I've already done changes to it. All I know it fits length wise.
If somebody got extra fan board lying around I could have a look at it, quite possible that the front panel power on is controlled by smbus. Or if you got a good digital oscilloscope probing the pins 2 & 4 while power on could be useful.
Unless we have different boards, mine is most definitely 18 pin (I know because when I ordered my first batch of connectors I should've asked a 3rd grader what 10 + 8 was since I ordered a 20 pin connector :S). My interposer has a 10 pin connector and an 8 pin going to a single plug on the motherboard. The 10 pin has 9Gnd + Stby and the 8 pin has all 12V.

This is what my interposer to motherboard power connector looks like.
http://www.velocitytechsolutions.co...power-cable-for-poweredge-c6100-cloud-server/

Last edited:

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
Unless we have different boards, mine is most definitely 18 pin (I know because when I ordered my first batch of connectors I should've asked a 3rd grader what 10 + 8 was since I ordered a 20 pin connector :S). My interposer has a 10 pin connector and an 8 pin going to a single plug on the motherboard. The 10 pin has 9Gnd + Stby and the 8 pin has all 12V.

This is what my interposer to motherboard power connector looks like.
Dell Poweredge C6100 Cloud Server JYHM4 Interposer Power Cable - Velocity Tech Solutions
Yes mine is one 12 pin connector, the same as the micro 12 pin on the node board but bigger. I guess this has something to do with the interposer boards. Coz mine has one big 12 pin connector instead of your 16.

The interposer board has 3 types of tracks: 12V, 12V purple, ground. Maybe there are some tracks on the top of the board - I cant see.

My node was made in 2009.

Last edited:

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
The original STH thread linked there is what inspired the whole thing. If I could buy just kit minus the board from China for a reasonable price, I would, but until then, I have to try and hack it together.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Getting those pci-e risers would be nice, they seem to have Mezzanine -> Pci-e riser too.
I could do the pinout for the pci-e riser c6100 already has and check how much the mezzanine port got in common with the x16 slot. Might be that they use same pinout but mezzanine slot just got fever pci-e lanes.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Getting those pci-e risers would be nice, they seem to have Mezzanine -> Pci-e riser too.
I could do the pinout for the pci-e riser c6100 already has and check how much the mezzanine port got in common with the x16 slot. Might be that they use same pinout but mezzanine slot just got fever pci-e lanes.
Electrically I assume they'll be the same setup since it's viewed (and advertised) as an x8 slot. I would love to have an X8 and an X16 usable slot.

My plan for the x16 (and no, I don't plan on plugging in any crazy video cards) is to just use the included riser and then plug a ribbon extension cable over to the actual expansion slot in the case. Get the heat of the vid card away and not be limited to a low profile video card.

sweloop64

Feb 28, 2011
Sweden
Google Translate
Special Note: after shutdown required by the chassis panel below the self-locking switch off power supply (especially the graphics card has an external 12V power supply) power supply is needed because the board has power to boot, so after the power supply is powered off, you need to press the power Self-locking switch to stop power supply.
PSU doesn't get the signal to power itself off with the Chinese solution?

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
OS X 10.8 installed and booted into safe mode without any problems (using the onboard video). Some kexts need changing for user mode.

Waiting for my riser-ribbon for the PCI-X to check my video card (It's working OK on my current hackintosh).

Will use QVS USB to 2.1 Stereo Audio Adapter which should be compatible with OS X.

Had some worries with cooling as the node ran extremely hot without fans. Used the fans from Antec 1200 case with the original CPU coolers - works like a charm. I guess the original coolers are very efficient at conducting heat.

nitelava

Sep 15, 2013
OS x 10.8.2 installed successfully. GeForce 9800 GT 1 Gig video, QVS USB to 2.1 Stereo Audio, 2 24" Hp LP2475w + SSD. Everything working OK so far. Xbench score 209, Geekbench 12000 for multicore.

CPUs with 40-45C using quiet Supermicro coolers.

Posting from the build.

Last edited:

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
OS x 10.8.2 installed successfully. GeForce 9800 GT 1 Gig video, QVS USB to 2.1 Stereo Audio, 2 24" Hp LP2475w + SSD. Everything working OK so far. Xbench score 209, Geekbench 12000 for multicore.

CPUs with 40-45C using quiet Supermicro coolers.

Posting from the build.
What case is it in? :)