c6100 - solo mission

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

timquinn

Sep 16, 2013
Long story made short, I bought two c6100s and after hours of juggling we just couldn't get the 4th slot up and running (we're a tech shop - and used a ton of info from here - this place rocks!).

Either way, this is for a semi-production server which is being shipped off a few hundred miles from our office and it came down to me just not trusting the boxes to run consistently in that capacity -- great potential but I'd lose sleep over them, you live and you learn.

Anyhow I also have about 20 extra WD Black 2TBs kicking around and was thinking of pulling out one of the sleds and using it for a home storage server. Running it within the chassis is a non-starter due to its size and noise (yes I realize I can juggle the fans down, but whatever). Ideally I'd like to pull the sled out, using the onboard sas and then throw a expansion cage on it. It doesn't have to be pretty, I'm the only one who will ever see it.

The server motherboard needs a 18 pin male power input. I also have a convertor for a 10 pin & 8 pin into 18 pin if that's easier. Does anyone know of a power supply that presents both a 10 pin female and 8 pin female OR a single 18 pin male? Would that be enough?

I guess there is also the matter of controlling the fans but that is a solution that I'm more comfortable with juggling with (hell I'll dip it in mineral oil for all I care)