C6100 Mezzanine Slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Quartzeye

Jul 29, 2013
Everyone,

I was looking at a spec sheet on the C6100 and noticed that it said the mezzanine slot was a PCIe x8 slot.

Is it a PCIe x8 slot? I realize the location is bad for a card but there are ribbon cables that would plug into an x8 slot and route around to the pins on an x8 card. Has anyone tried this to see if a half-height/half-length x8 card can be used in this slot with a ribbon cable adapter?

If not and mezzanine is a proprietary pin out, are there other mezzanine cards that will match the pin out on the slot so that they can be adapted to work in the C6100?

Lastly, if the pin out is proprietary how can it be called a PCIe x8 slot? Even if Dell rearranged the pin out, they should be mappable to a PCIe x8 standard. that would allow some one to rewire one of the ribbon cable extenders to map the slot to a PCIe x8 card. Is there tech doc that documents the pin out on the mezzanine slot?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Electrically, it is a PCIe2 x8 slot. Physically it is a proprietary connector with a much smaller size than a normal PCIe slot, and likely an odd pin arrangement.

Even if you managed to make an adapter cable, the physical space available is smaller than a normal PCIe card.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Thread resurrection!
Poking the pinout should be relatively easy task, although you need to sacrifice 1x LSI1068 mezzanine card and 1x normal LSI1068 HBA for it.

Getting the pinout is simple as: Desolder the LSI1068 off both of the cards, find the pci-e pins on the normal card and then do the reverse for the mezzanine card.
Making test riser out of the JKM5M should be rather easy task using a normal x8 pci-e ribbon riser card.

Would do that myself but I don't have the money to put into getting those cards right now. Unless somebody wants send me cards for the job of guinea pig ;)
And do not try to cut the x16 riser and putting it to the mezzanine port backwards, the power pins are laid out differently.