C6100 fan always at full speed without any load

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

korban

Feb 12, 2013
Belgium
www.befr.ebay.be
Hi everyone, I have a strange isue that could have his place in this post.

I bought recently 2 x C6100 chassis. I'v tested all node one by one with F@H.

All nodes of the first chassi: it was normy loudy.
All nodes of the second chassi, it was extremely loudy. I beleve that the fan are runing at full speed. It make me an extra of 70w power consumtion for nothing :-/

I extract the 3 other nodes of the second chassi to try to isolate the problem, but no changes.

I contstate that the problem came not with the load but after a few time. between 2 and 3 min (with or without loud)

I read somewhere that's possible to upgrade the "fan firmware", did you know how?
How is it possible to check the revision of the actual "fan fimware"?

In the IPMI I see that the PSU was not detected in the node with the isue.

I don't have many experience in those type of debug.

Thx for your help

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
The fan firmware updater is named: FCB.00_118_A00_customer.exe Enter that into Google and look for a dell.com/support/drivers page. As of this morning, it's at the top of the page.

Running the updater from Windows will show the current firmware version and offer to update it.

Hi everyone, I have a strange isue that could have his place in this post.

I bought recently 2 x C6100 chassis. I'v tested all node one by one with F@H.

All nodes of the first chassi: it was normy loudy.
All nodes of the second chassi, it was extremely loudy. I beleve that the fan are runing at full speed. It make me an extra of 70w power consumtion for nothing :-/

I extract the 3 other nodes of the second chassi to try to isolate the problem, but no changes.

I contstate that the problem came not with the load but after a few time. between 2 and 3 min (with or without loud)

I read somewhere that's possible to upgrade the "fan firmware", did you know how?
How is it possible to check the revision of the actual "fan fimware"?

In the IPMI I see that the PSU was not detected in the node with the isue.

I don't have many experience in those type of debug.

Thx for your help

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
so is it possible to downclock the fans to manageable sound levels?
I implemented the Fan Mod suggested by PigLover in his taming the C6100 thread. Works really well, ( I chose to solder and heatshrink the wires rather than add a connector), and in an idle state the fans are very quiet, spinning at under 1500 rpm. This does trigger a low fan alarm, and I still have to figure out the IPMI commands to reset the threshold to say 1000 rpm.

korban

Feb 12, 2013
Belgium
www.befr.ebay.be
The fan firmware updater is named: FCB.00_118_A00_customer.exe Enter that into Google and look for a dell.com/support/drivers page. As of this morning, it's at the top of the page.

Running the updater from Windows will show the current firmware version and offer to update it.
Hi DBA,

I'v try the upgrade with the 1.18 fan firmware, the update work but I don't get any warn before the update.

On the 1st node, no problems with the upgrade.

On the 2de node, I'm not able to do the upgrade :-/ I recieve this error message.

Code:
Inventec FCB Firmware Update Tool V0.92 - 05/05/2011
Wait ACK pin state high before pull BMC request pin to low

Wait PIC-ACK Signal
The Previous Major FCB Bootloader version : F8
The Previous Minor FCB Bootloader version : F8The Current FCB Board FW Major ver
sion : F8
The Previous FCB Board FW Minor version : F8
Flash Start Address 0x1C00--->           Flash Address 0x1C00
Response Status : 83

FCB Flash Fail.
 response[0]=0x83
In the manual I have find this : 0x83: Transmission Abort :-(

I'v try with the 1.20 version, but I can't apply this version on any chassis.

I implemented the Fan Mod suggested by PigLover in his taming the C6100 thread. Works really well, ( I chose to solder and heatshrink the wires rather than add a connector), and in an idle state the fans are very quiet, spinning at under 1500 rpm. This does trigger a low fan alarm, and I still have to figure out the IPMI commands to reset the threshold to say 1000 rpm.
Hi britinpdx, this mod look to be nice but I believe that I have a soft or hard probleme with the 2de server.

If I implement this mod the isue will stay and use the new fan always at full speed.

The http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/ look great, I will test it!

For my information, do you notice a lower power consumtion with you new fan?

Last edited:

korban

Feb 12, 2013
Belgium
www.befr.ebay.be
For my information, to the owner of C6100 : What is your CPU fan speed at IDLE state?

3 nodes runing on the 4. 100% same config on both chassis, I have swaped the HDD :p

Chassi 1 : IDLE : 3200 rpm
Chassi 2 : IDLE : 4700 rpm

Chassi 1 : Burn F@h : 3700 rpm
Chassi 2 : Burn F@H : 7000 rpm

Last edited:

autowidget

Jan 25, 2013
Here's what I used to set the threshold to 1000:

ipmitool sensor thresh 'FCB FAN1' lcr 1000
ipmitool sensor thresh 'FCB FAN2' lcr 1000
ipmitool sensor thresh 'FCB FAN3' lcr 1000
ipmitool sensor thresh 'FCB FAN4' lcr 1000

korban

Feb 12, 2013
Belgium
www.befr.ebay.be
Thanks all for your feedback!

I have investigated deper and have done those thinks:

Chassi 1 BIOS : 1,69 -> 1,70 = ok
Chassi 2 BIOS : 1,69 -> 1,70 = ok

Chassi 1 ESM/BMC : 1,29 -> 1,30 = ok
Chassi 2 ESM/BMC : 1,29 -> 1,30 = ok

Chassi 1 PIC/FBC : 1,16 -> 1,18 -> 1,20 = ok
Chassi 2 PIC/FBC : 0,00 -> 1,18 or 1,20 = FAIL

When I try to upgrade the chassi 2 I have this message:

When I check the BIOS the rev of the PIC is 0000 on the chassi 2

The PIC on the FCB look different and I don't know what to do:

Chassi 1 PIC :

Chassi 2 PIC :

Last edited:

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Thanks all for your feedback!

I have investigated deper and have done those thinks:

Chassi 1 BIOS : 1,69 -> 1,70 = ok
Chassi 2 BIOS : 1,69 -> 1,70 = ok

Chassi 1 ESM/BMC : 1,29 -> 1,30 = ok
Chassi 2 ESM/BMC : 1,29 -> 1,30 = ok

Chassi 1 PIC/FBC : 1,16 -> 1,18 -> 1,20 = ok
Chassi 2 PIC/FBC : 0,00 -> 1,18 or 1,20 = FAIL

When I try to upgrade the chassi 2 I have this message:

When I check the BIOS the rev of the PIC is 0000 on the chassi 2

The PIC on the FCB look different and I don't know what to do:

Chassi 1 PIC :

Chassi 2 PIC :

hi

you have a pic-16 FCB in one of your machines while the other is pic-18. the update is for pic-18 only.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I wrote that last post when i was on the train. Heres some more info.

I had the same problem with not being able to update the FCB to the latest version. See the main C6100 thread, http://forums.servethehome.com/proc...xs23-ty3-2u-4-node-8-cpu-cloud-server-19.html, for details on that.

I have not been able to find any mirror for FCB updates for the PIC-16. You can try FCB firmwares over here and see if any of these from around 2010 may work for FCB-16, Dell PowerEdge C | Latest Firmware.

I currently have the 1.04 FCB firmware for my PIC-16 and that works (fans are not always 100% etc).

May i also ask, do you have 4-pin or 6-pin fans in the chassis?

OrangesOfCourse

May 15, 2013
Korban,

Did you ever fix this issue? I seem to be having the same problem. At first i thought that how loud it actually was but it seems that its always running on full speed. When i look for the fan speeds under remote management it lists the following:

FCB FAN1 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
FCB FAN2 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
FCB FAN3 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
FCB FAN4 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
FCB Ambient1 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
FCB Ambient2 Not Available Reading/State Unavailable
PIC16 Board
0104 PIC Firmware
4 Pin fans

amlife

May 30, 2013
Did anyone managed to solve this issue? I'm having the same error mine is PCI16 and the fix is only for PCI18

I could not update my first node (PCI16), but I managed to fix my second node because it's PCI18.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I too have the FBC PCI16 - has anyone figured out a way to get the fans to behave more efficiently?

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I wrote that last post when i was on the train. Heres some more info.

I had the same problem with not being able to update the FCB to the latest version. See the main C6100 thread, http://forums.servethehome.com/proc...xs23-ty3-2u-4-node-8-cpu-cloud-server-19.html, for details on that.

I have not been able to find any mirror for FCB updates for the PIC-16. You can try FCB firmwares over here and see if any of these from around 2010 may work for FCB-16, Dell PowerEdge C | Latest Firmware.

I currently have the 1.04 FCB firmware for my PIC-16 and that works (fans are not always 100% etc).

May i also ask, do you have 4-pin or 6-pin fans in the chassis?

How did you get it so fans didn't run at full speed while having a PCI16 board?

Nico

Jan 15, 2020
I know it's a bit late in the game... but I was able to flash the FCB perfectly with ipmiflash, the tool from poweredgec.com

[root@localhost fcbflash]# /opt/dell/pec/ipmiflash fcb ftp://XXXX:XXXXX@XXX.XXX.50.1:21/v120.bin

Dell PE-C IPMI flash update tool | built: 2013-02-11 15:44:47

BMC (remote) :
update fw target : FCB
update type : normal
preserve config : no

Got reservation: 0x0f
Pushing part 1/3 of URL into BMC...
Pushing part 2/3 of URL into BMC...
Pushing part 3/3 of URL into BMC...
Triggered flash process to start.
Flashing Task ID: 48

Fans went from 6100 RPM to a very tolerable 4000 RPM.