C6100 'cluster' with ESXi?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ryle leigh

Mar 28, 2017
I've bought a 3 node C6100, and have installed vmware esxi 6.

I have 16gb ram, and 2 quad core processors per node

How would I create a Virtual machine, where I can use the power of ALL of the nodes, instead of just the one?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You are thinking of distributed computing. Clustering, generally, in any virtualized host environment is more for high availability, resiliency, manageability.

Ryle leigh

Mar 28, 2017
So i'd be better off taking out 2 nodes, and putting all of the ram into the final node ? current got 2x quad core not HT, going to order 2x 6 core HT.

So when using a server as a home pc theres no advantage having multiple nodes ?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Well, except for hardware independance, high availability, resiliency and manageability or you have to run a few guest which together would take all resources of 1 host.
In case of the last situation i'd run n+1, which you cluster seems to be.

If you'd want to use all resources at once, esxi or vshpere ( or basically any hypervisor) is the wrong solution for you

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Agreed. Virtualization is about making one box run many individual workloads - not making many boxes run one single workload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryle leigh

Mar 28, 2017
Is it possible to run a single C6100 node separate from the server ? Using an ATX PSU ?

I've heard of someonedoing it but I need more elboration on what connections hes used, and if it was just the node he used, or if he had to connect up fans and the like..

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It's possible but with many modifications.

I know there is somewhere a thread with many pictures and more information, but I can't find it right now.

Ryle leigh

Mar 28, 2017
As long as I know its possible, I will attempt myself soon.

If possible can you try to link the thread here ?
As my attempt would involves stripping out the chassis, then seeing how many components i can remove whilst still keeing it running (or which components can be modified) & then AFTER that, try and get the atx PSU running

(Is it best to do the PSU last, as there will be less components needing power = less modified connections on the atx psu?)

Or if someone has a better method I should try.. let me know !

Thank you for you reply

Ryle leigh

Mar 28, 2017
Hi the search result didn't turn up anything relevant :( (the c+p link doesnt work but i did try search for s0lid, with no result)