C3758 for FreeNAS/custom Ubuntu NAS with SA120: Plex and performance questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

Because my rack cabinet is not the most spacious, I would like to consider a 1U or 2U NAS system that can serve Plex, iSCSI volumes, SMB and little else (I want to use a lower spec C3xxx series for a pfsense/Linux router build with Alienvault/IDS).

Considering picking up the C3758 supermicro board. Because this would run 24x7 I need low power consumption and heat production.

Will the C3758 perform well for Plex/transcoding to one or two clients max, at 1080p, and serve SMB and iSCSI to VMs? I need to connect it to my SA120, so I will have to use one PCIe slot for a 9300 HBA with external connectors. The A2SDi-8C-HLN4F MB seems to have only one PCIe x4 slot.

Since I have my own 12v supply in my rack, I could run it on 12v from my high efficiency supply (it's a MeanWell unit built into a 1u rack case with additional filtering and support for running some embedded boards). However the SC chassis I was looking at comes with a 200w gold psu.

The other option I guess is a Xeon D 1541 system but I really want low power for the NAS. On the other hand, would the C3758 or lower spec models suffice for pfsense/routing and Alienvault/Suricata IDS? No extra duties.