C240M3S 9271CV-8i Raid issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zane

Aug 22, 2013
I am out of ideas with these C240M3S systems with the 9271CV-8i. I have two of them and both have issues where the 9271CV-8i will randomly disappear, and or the VD will disappear, and or it will detach a new hard drive like its failed. This happen on reboots or warm reboots but if the server is cold booted this usually does not happen.

For two+ weeks I have loaded and tested many different firmwares loaded the via Cisco HUU ISO. I have tested different CIMC setting until I'm blue in the face. I tried only using BIOS setting without CIMC too. Yes, LOM is enabled for the raid card and only the raid card. Factory reset cleared CIMOS you name it...

Q: Has anyone had any success with loading non Cisco LSI firmware on the 9271CV-8i?
Q: Has anyone tried other non Cisco raid cards that support all 24 drives?

Any pointers or direction on what could possible be going on?

Last edited:

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
So I've got a 9266-8i in my C240 M3S, which I don't believe even has the Cisco firmware on it. Works fine. I don't think you'd have any real problems using non-cisco firmware on your LSI cards, since they are all OEM LSI.

Additionally, the backplane on the M3S/M3L is active, meaning it has a SAS Expander on the board itself. So it uses the 2x SAS Connections and breaks it out to many. (Otherwise you'd have 4 SAS Cables going from the backplane to the controller)

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
I’ve had a faulty Cisco 9271-8i once in one of my C220s and it had similar symptoms to what you described.

I ended up replacing it with another one and the issues never occurred again.

Try swapping slots or cables and cards in servers and see if the symptoms follow... before going down the path of trying replacements!

zane

Aug 22, 2013
@Switchback028 & @DRAGONKZ ,
Thank you for your input. I have replaced the raid card and hard drives with Cisco HDs. I am still going to test with off the shelf drives but noticed that when I replaced the raid card booting the system took a quarter of the time. So I believe that I some how drew two bad raid cards from the pile. I'll update after I test some other drives.