C216 Boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OPP

Mar 12, 2011
Silkeborg, Denmark
Any news or information on boards based on this chipset for 1200-series v2 Ivy Bridge based Xeon's....?

The Z77 WS board does not support (un)buffered ECC, from what I understand? and although my P8B-WS well 'eat' an IB Xeon fine?

I wonder if Asus will update the P8B WS or other manufactures will make any boards with this chipset? Super Micro? or so?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I don't have one of those yet :-( Will work on it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Go for it on that and anything coming out of Tyan/ Intel/ Gigabyte.

I'm flying busy right now.

OPP

Mar 12, 2011
Silkeborg, Denmark
Thanks to everyone that supplied with information so far :)

My comments...

Supermicro (Until recently I was working at a scandinavian Supermicro solution builder and reseller company), I'm well aware of their offerings, and so far it's still the 'old' X9 lineup with BIOS updates. meaning it's still C20X based products.

Asus, glad to see Asus still caring for a middle ground workstation/small 1P server doing a follow up to the P8B (WS) series with P8C (WS) based on C216, but I'm sad to see them still only supplying 6 SATA ports..
I would have loved to see 8-10 ports without using an add-in controller.

So for me, next step will be to keep:
-my 'old' sandy bridge based Xeon 1240
-my P8B WS
-16GB (4x4) Kingston Unbuffered ECC

Issues I'm waiting out:
-eventually settle with a LSI/Highpoint(or the likes) controller for storage
-to see if Intel has TIM caused heat problems for Ivy Bridge Xeons as well ref-> http://www.tweaktown.com/news/24059...ndeed_caused_by_intel_s_tim_choice/index.html
-and eventually do 32GB (4x8) Kingston Unbuffered ECC

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Issues I'm waiting out:
-eventually settle with a LSI/Highpoint(or the likes) controller for storage
Just as a thought, virtually every large OEM (Dell, IBM, HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo, Sun-Oracle and etc) use LSI controllers, nobody that I know of uses Highpoint. There might be something to that.