C2100 - Upgrading PERC disabled both b0 memory slots

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DLinkOZ

Oct 6, 2017
I recently bought another server that included an H700, but I'll be booting VMware off USB so didn't need it in that box. My C2100 had the 6/i, so I thought this would be a great (and free) upgrade for it. Everything went well, foreign configs imported perfectly. But what I've noticed is that the b0 and e0 slots now show empty, leaving me with 16GB of RAM (system has 24GB installed, 6x 4GB). I put the 6/i back in, and all memory showed up again. H700 back in, back down to 16GB. I've verified that none of the mirroring options are enabled, etc.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior? The backplane jumpers were originally set:

J15 - off
J17 - on
J18 - on
J16 - off

I place a jumper on J15 to enable the PERC.

Attachments

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I know that for awhile there you needed to cover some pins on PERC's to get them to run in non-dell servers. The C2100, while "badged" a Dell, isn't really. All my 2100's have actual LSI controllers in them, so I'm not familiar with the H700's in C2100's.

DLinkOZ

Oct 6, 2017
I updated the firmware on the H700 while it was still in an r610, then swapped it over. It works great as a PERC, but this oddball issue of disabling that center memory slot on each CPU persists.

DLinkOZ

Oct 6, 2017
Yeah, that must not be necessary anymore (with fully-patched firmware). All I had to do was place the jumper on the backplane's J15 (on sets for PERC, off for LSI) and it sees the card, disks, no issues using the volumes. Just this strange behavior with the middle blue memory slots.

DLinkOZ

Oct 6, 2017
I'll try it, thanks. I only questioned it because the behavior is completely different from what's stated on the page that was linked.

DLinkOZ

Oct 6, 2017
It's there but in the comments section, so hopefully this will resolve it (I'll try tonight).

"On my motherboard (Asus Rampage III Extreme, X58), inserting a reflashed (IT) Dell Perc H310 disables memory slot B1. So at least one DIMM is "lost" and the system memory count goes down.
Taping over pins B5/B6 solves the problem.
Hopefully this will prevent some people from pulling their hair out ;)"