BYO CSE-505-203B w/ Xeon D thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I still think buying the system is probably the way to go. I did figure it might be worthwhile to add a parts list. Making this list for myself. Building a few Xeon D boxes this week. I probably have 10+ of these in prodution with Avoton, Rangeley and Xeon D.

Note to self - try this riser: Supermicro RSC RR1U E16 1U Riser Card REV3 30 | eBay $10 and comes with the support bracket? Do not need if not using PCIe card. Need to figure out how to cool 10G cards/ NVMe cards in this.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I should have a brand new Supermicro FAN-0100L4 that i've never used, could sell it for cheaper if you're interested. And possibly the fan holder too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I should have a brand new Supermicro FAN-0100L4 that i've never used, could sell it for cheaper if you're interested. And possibly the fan holder too.
Hmmm... I should not but... shoot me a PM if you do have both. Who knows.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Patrick,

In that case are you going with the X10SDV-8C-TLN4F (low profile) and using two fans with the air flow duct? Can you even put an X10SDV-TLN4F in those cases?

I thought I'd seen, somewhere on the forums, that people were worried about the RAM being cooled enough in that type of setup.

bhcamper

Oct 6, 2015
Hi Patrick,

did you ever manage to get the riser card working with the X10SDV-TLN4F motherboard?

Thanks!

I still think buying the system is probably the way to go. I did figure it might be worthwhile to add a parts list. Making this list for myself. Building a few Xeon D boxes this week. I probably have 10+ of these in prodution with Avoton, Rangeley and Xeon D.

Note to self - try this riser: Supermicro RSC RR1U E16 1U Riser Card REV3 30 | eBay $10 and comes with the support bracket? Do not need if not using PCIe card. Need to figure out how to cool 10G cards/ NVMe cards in this.

Jul 20, 2015
Hmm I just noticed this thread sort of answers the thread about risers I just started.

By standard riser you mean, the RSC-RR1U-E16 that was recommended in the other thread and above in your first post Patrick?

Also, I noticed you said the dual fan holder doesn't work. What about two of the individual fan holders. Will that work? Supermicro seems to think it will.

Lastly I'm thinking of skipping the official Supermicro fans here: FAN-0100L4 Supermicro 40mm 4Pin PWM Fan for SC510/SC511 Chassis - Case Fans - SuperBiiz.com

And instead getting these, since I like Delta products:

Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412VHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com ... they have an option for a 4pin connector and a sleeve.

Is that silly? Should I just stick with the Supermicro fans? Or are the Delta fans likely to be better. Any other fans that would be better? Or anyone know of a cheaper source for the Delta fans?

Jul 20, 2015
Interesting the Delta, though available with a 4 pin plug, would still only have three wires. What wire is missing?

I guess I'll just keep life simple and get the SuperMicro (Nidec) fans.

(Ten minutes later)...

I've taken the lid off my case 504-203B case and I can't figure out where I'd mount the fans if I bought the fan kits. Where exactly do you mount them?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've taken the lid off my case 504-203B case and I can't figure out where I'd mount the fans if I bought the fan kits. Where exactly do you mount them?
The fan holders screw into mounting holes in the bottom of the chassis.

Jul 20, 2015
The fan holders screw into mounting holes in the bottom of the chassis.
Patrick...

I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly how to mount the fans. They seem too loose to just plop down, and obviously I have to do something with the four rubber holes/pins, but I can't figure out exactly what.

Can you post some pictures of your finished build, especially around the fan area?

Thanks!

FQB

Oct 26, 2015
So Patrick, after the trip to Taiwan, are you going to go with ASRock with the next build?
So much for SOC since ASRock has a version that allows you to swap out the CPU (according to your briefing)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So Patrick, after the trip to Taiwan, are you going to go with ASRock with the next build?
So much for SOC since ASRock has a version that allows you to swap out the CPU (according to your briefing)
Ah - so the ASRock one allows you to buy a different SKU with the other chip. Same motherboard, different SoC onboard and SKU. Let me go look if I can make that a bit clear.

And "my next build" is currently 2-5 servers per week so probably a few before the board arrives.

FQB

Oct 26, 2015
Ah ok - that makes clearer. Thanks to your coverage on the Xeon Ds these past few months, I've been itching to get a SYS-5018D-FN4T for a home lab for ESXi. 6.x.
Just trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger and not worry about prices coming down - then again, server prices for the Xeon D is probably going to hold for a bit even with the upcoming releases next week.

Paul Bommel

Oct 30, 2015
Greetings,

I just registered here, because I'm interested in your build configuration.
But well, I read the STH articles for a few years, also the Xeon D one.

I'm interested in this build config because you've choosen the 0100L4 fans, which are much quieter than the 0065L4 which are listed for the 5018D-FN4T.

Comparing the air flow and pressure we have:

0100L4: 2x 12.0; 0.38
0065L4: 1x 23.1; 1.07

I don't know if I can just multiply? So the two fans result in 24cfm and 0.76in.h2o
The pressure would still be lower for 2 quiet fans than for one load fan.

But that's just theory. So the question would be, did you encounter any issue during long-running heavy load?

The reason I ask is because my 5018A-TN7B has also 2x 0100L4 stock fans.
But the C2758 has 20W TDP while the D-1540 has 45W...

I hope you got my concern...