buying/building a new server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
Hi,

I'm want to build or buy a new server. I run Linux on this server to be precise ClearOS. I use this software since 2009 and i enjoy using it. I want a server with lot of storage. So i'm thinking of buying a chassis (rackmount) with 24 hot swappable bays and build it self or buy a sas/sata expander rackmount with a server. Are there any disadvantages using expander rackmounts. I really like to get some feedback. On the Clearfoundation forums is little knowledge about this stuff so i'm hoping to find some people who can help me.

Regards, Marcel

gavin

May 26, 2013
It's just a box, what kind of disadvantage you got on mind?

One thing I can think of is it takes a lot of space.
Second thing, it can be noisy.
Third thing, anything which can accommodate 24 HDDs is not cheap.

Wow it sounded like a terrible thing now. Go ahead, buy, share the build log with us. Enjoy!

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for the reply Gavin.

You indeed let it sound as a horrible choice. :)

My server is located in my barn/garage. So it may take some space. Also noise is not a problem.

I'm interested in this expander chassis https://ri-vier.eu/external-4u-24-bay-6g-sassata-expander-rackmount-rvds24-p-310.html?cPath=1_40. You also can buy this chassis as a server chassis https://ri-vier.eu/rivier-4u-server-case-24-hotswap-2535disk-rv432403a-p-284.html?cPath=1_3_7. I'm not sure which way to go yet. Buying it as server chassis is a lot cheaper. Also so i'm not sure about the redundancy. Should i use hardware RAID or software RAID or something like snapRAID. The server will hold my music and blu-rays.

poto

May 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply Gavin.

You indeed let it sound as a horrible choice. :)

My server is located in my barn/garage. So it may take some space. Also noise is not a problem.

I'm interested in this expander chassis https://ri-vier.eu/external-4u-24-bay-6g-sassata-expander-rackmount-rvds24-p-310.html?cPath=1_40. You also can buy this chassis as a server chassis https://ri-vier.eu/rivier-4u-server-case-24-hotswap-2535disk-rv432403a-p-284.html?cPath=1_3_7. I'm not sure which way to go yet. Buying it as server chassis is a lot cheaper. Also so i'm not sure about the redundancy. Should i use hardware RAID or software RAID or something like snapRAID. The server will hold my music and blu-rays.
The least expensive option I have seen lately is the used Supermicro 24-bay server being sold by TAM solutions. There are numerous threads detailing various mods at:

Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? and...

24 bay servers from Tam Solutions back in stock - $299 / data center pulls

I mention this because you are looking at a Norco chassis, and the Supermicro 846 is built much sturdier. I have owned a Norco 4220 for 3 years and can vouch for the superior quality of the used chassis mentioned above - just set one up with no issues in a few hours (comes with everything except drives and OS). I will mention a few caveats, however: 1 - this has 7 high-speed fans and must be either modified for reduced sound or placed away from your living area. 2 - the HBA's included are a few years old, and may not support 3/4TB drives. I tested mine to make sure all ports worked, and pulled them in favor of raid controller. 3 - modifications to quiet the power supply are not "unplug and replace" type operations - some shop skills are required. 4 - last, the norco chassis has mini-sas connectors on the backplane, which simplifies cable management. The older supermicro chassis has sata connectors for each drive.

Good Luck!

gavin

May 26, 2013
Hardware: As poto's advised.
Software: Surely some kind of redundancy is needed but any half-decent O/S, filesystem can do that today so it's all about personal choice. Again, go with what you are comfy with, if you're a Windows person for example, that'd do. I would recommend FreeBSD, you could try with one of the USB stick editions if you can spare 20 mins or so. Try nas4free maybe.

MvL

Jan 7, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback poto and gavin!

Not sure if i go software raid or hardware raid. I'm testing snapraid at the moment on my main server. I like the idea of one server do all jobs (power consumption). Also i like a modular approach that's why i'm interested in expander chassis. I already have tested mdadm on Linux. On thing i don't like about hard/soft raid that all drives have to spin-up to access your data. I like unraid's approach the only pitfall is speed... One of the benefits to choice for a expander chassis in my opinion is i always can go hardware raid in the future.

Lets say when i buy a expander chassis and i connect to my main server via sas/sata raid/hba card what's the speed of this setup. Cause you have to share 24 hdd over one SFF-8088 cable.