Buying advice: 25GbE // SFP28 in principle and practice...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
1st, I want something fast that I can use in my SOHO.

I don't mind changing fans out for quieter fans ...

I was previously considering this but missed grabbing it while I was looking up wtf "Top of Rack" meant !??

Was this "Top of Rack" switch a good buy (overkill, sure)..?
(eBay link for a very inexpensive SFP28 switch)

Are SFP28 switches more 'efficient' than SFP+ ..? As in, run cooler (fewer watts per port) as they're a newer generation switch..? Or does the improved efficiency usually just mean they'll add more features per port..?

Tangentially, I'm also having problems with my 10GbE SFP+ network getting 200MB/s ... even going from a computer with an NVMe SSD to another with an NVMe SSD!!

Since I'm (obviously, asking remedial questions) a beginner, is dealing with SFP+ // SFP28 networking too expensive and complex for someone who knows so little...and thus, 'self-justifying' that I revert to the easier domain of 10G-baseT ..?

Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Boy, there are a lot of things to say ...

1. I think this would make more sense in the Network forum;)
2. I would suggest to resolve (or at least identify) your 10G issues first before getting a new switch
3. 25G switches are newer but not necessarily more efficient/or use less power - they need to transfer significantly more data which takes more power... so I'd not count on it taking less
4. Older gen 100G (and thus 25G) switches tend to have specific network operating systems - unless you get a brand name (cisco, arista, mellanox, hpe, dell) you'll probably end up with a third party OS which might be free or not. You will need to ensure that the switch you choose is capable of running a free version (as you probably don't want to shell out another grand or two in license fees)
5. Older gen switches might be affected by Intel firmware bugs (c2000 for example) which might explain why they are so cheap - so do your research befor you buy

6. You don't need to go 25G to get faster networking, there is also the 40G option which is older tech than 25 and therefore much cheaper. Check the network forum for lots of 40G or 56G switches in all variants - from a few 40G ports on the cheap 6 series Brocades, to Arista models, Mellanox, and what not, for every taste.
7. Don't forget you need to feed the network too, that means PCIE3 x8 slots and sufficient storage devices or lots of users

So to sum up - I'd suggest to read up before you buy;)

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
And did you find out what top of rack means or what it is? :D
Top of the rack generally means you have a 19" wide 7' high EIA rack stuffed full of computers. Most of the switch ports connect to the computers in the rack, and one or two of the highest speed ports connect outside of the rack. The switches often sit at the top of the rack, and the inter-rack wiring is above the racks.

Reactions: gb00s