Bulk storage for home - help me make a decision

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't see that happening at all on my SE3016. I had 12 loaded with 4-6TB disks in it and a 4 2TB disks. I swapped a the 2TB disks out for more 4TB disks last weekend, so it's completely full of disks 4TB+ without an issue in Ubuntu 14.04 Server connected to an m1015. Were your random appearances after a reboot or while the disks were active in the OS?
Good to hear it's working well for you, and as intended. I'm tempted to plug mine in and load it up with drives that are 2-5TB just for testing the drives, and the enclosure now!!!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Good to hear it's working well for you, and as intended. I'm tempted to plug mine in and load it up with drives that are 2-5TB just for testing the drives, and the enclosure now!!!
Yeah it works pretty well for just bulk media storage (for the price). I do wish I could easily swap the PSU with a 80 plus Flex-ATX PSU based on the previous comment of it's 65-70% efficiency (and noise). That being said, I didn't see any appreciable increase in power consumption by switching from removing the Intel SAS2 expander to using this SE3016. I think at this point, i'll leave well enough alone :)

Reactions: T_Minus

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Same -- I have 2 of them almost entirely full of 4TB+ drives and there are no issues with drive discovery/recognition. Connected to 3ware 9750.

Reactions: T_Minus

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I don't see that happening at all on my SE3016. I had it loaded with (12) 4-6TB disks and (4) 2TB disks. I swapped the 2TB disks out for more 4TB disks last weekend, so it's completely full of disks 4TB+ without an issue in Ubuntu 14.04 Server connected to an m1015. Were your random appearances after a reboot or while the disks were active in the OS?
Reboot....

Not on every reboot
This problem on zfs is annoying when happens.....

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Same -- I have 2 of them almost entirely full of 4TB+ drives and there are no issues with drive discovery/recognition. Connected to 3ware 9750.
Depends on your situation.
Please refer on my previous post.

Other my concern:
If you fully utilized drives.. You would see.. Reset got sending to drives. Sata scenario..

My experience
On sas2 hba. You can see in kernel msg.
BTW. I am on Linux with centos

Lsi err msgs are cryptic...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Are the disks late to be available or do they never appear to the OS? I haven't seen this behavior yet.
rebooting, some drives were missing randomly :p...
and without any warning... the connection dropped to 1.5G on sata...

I was troubleshooting for months with 3016 and boughtchenbro sas1 expander (bought $35 at that time).
all gave me headache including chenbro sas1 expander :(...
the most important errors were many resets to expander on kernel msgs...

the magic was coming true when move to intel SAS2 expander and SM 3U server case with sas2 expander ( thanks to whomever posted those deals). all my miseries were gone quickly :D. I promised to my self.. never and never touch sas1 expander again hahaha.
all drives were 3T. 4T was >$180 at that time