Bulk Optimize Media for Plex Direct Play

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Potatospud

Jan 30, 2017
Not everyone has the upload bandwidth to support remote direct streaming. I have Gigabit fiber so that's not me but not everyone is that lucky ;).
True... If I were in your shoes I'd make the decision based on the majority. Or at least gift upgrade those that can handle it and be done. Either way you'll be transcoding less, freeing up server CPU load for other tasks. And using less storage. Handbrake even includes a preset for Chromecast. I only have about 10 remote users and I've used plexpy to help me determine the best general platform encoding to cover the majority and reduce the amount of transcoding.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
True... If I were in your shoes I'd make the decision based on the majority. Or at least gift upgrade those that can handle it and be done. Either way you'll be transcoding less, freeing up server CPU load for other tasks. And using less storage. Handbrake even includes a preset for Chromecast. I only have about 10 remote users and I've used plexpy to help me determine the best general platform encoding to cover the majority and reduce the amount of transcoding.
All my users already have devices that are capable of direct playing my content. The issue isn't their devices, it's the default playback quality setting or their wireless networks.