1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulk Optimize Media for Plex Direct Play

Discussion in 'HTPC-Network Media Player Forum' started by IamSpartacus, Jul 14, 2016.

1. maze

maze Active Member

4Mbps is quite low though.. For 720p content.. Isnt 8Mbps an option? Or are some clients simply not capable of that downstream?

2. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Active Member

What matters is the default Plex client setting for remote playback as that is what's going to determine if my server is going to need to transcode down or not. From what I've seen, most if not all Plex clients have the remote streaming quality set to 4Mbps 720p by default. I plan to create this downcoded library and share it to my remote users while keeping all my original quality content for myself.

3. maze

maze Active Member

Ah, i checked my appletv4 app and yes indeed. Local play is 8Mbps.. Which seems Odd. But yet that is an idea if space is not an issue Then keeping a lower bitrate version is indeed an option.. But i do believe most people should be able to change that one setting :)

4. IamSpartacus

I've found that many of my remote access users either have low bandwidth or poor wireless setups that cause buffering issues when they try to raise the bitrate quality. For example, many use version 1 chromecasts which have serious bitrate limitations which causes buffering when streaming over 4Mbps in my own experience. Keeping it at 4Mbps quality helps to reduce to amount of issues and in all honesty the users don't really notice a quality difference at all (these are older folks mostly).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

By doing this, aren't you trading the 'on demand' conversion benefits for resourcing, for guaranteed disk space usage to store the secondary copy +plus+ the compute resources to do the bulk conversion in the first place?

While I realize this won't answer your question on how to do that, wouldn't it be significantly easier to just let it transcode on the fly?

In any event, wouldn't the:
    Limit remote stream bitrate
    Set the maximum bitrate of a remote stream from this server.​
    Setting do the job? I have an option for 4mbps / 720p, which seems to be the setting you'd want?

6. IamSpartacus

Hard drive space is cheap, CPU power is not.

The goal was to limit the amount of CPU processing needed for live trsnscodes. Those options are new features that were only introduced in the past few months so they weren't an option when I made the OP. Furthermore, forcing my users to use a specific bit rate does not solve the original problem of cutting down on live transcoding.