Bulk LSI 9202-16e Opportunity?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Just yesterday I was looking to buy another one or two of these. An eBay seller had one for $200, but I missed the auction. I emailed and offered $175 if he'd re-auction it with a buy-it-now. He did, listing it at $250 with an OBO option meant for me, but someone else picked it up in just a few minutes! Now I'm looking again.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That seller seems to have a lot. I don't remember what I did with mine. :-/

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
no internal ports what's this used for connecting to a board with an SAS controller as a DAS?
It is a 16e, so it has 16 external SAS channels. One would use this to connect to a/multiple DAS chassis or a switched SAS Storage Area Network. It is another option for your storage setup, gigatexal.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
The advantage being you can run a 1U / 2U and connect 16 disks plus whatever the MB / chassis will allow and swap out DAS units as the need arises. If the DAS units have expanders then you can attach many more if the controller handles it.

Imagine connecting 4 DAS boxes to a 1U server where you have redundancy between the DAS boxes. One fails for some reason (PSU / PSU controller / expander fault), it allows the owner to unplug and swap the whole DAS out for a spare while they troubleshoot and not have to take the actual server down.

RB

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
no internal ports what's this used for connecting to a board with an SAS controller as a DAS?
Have one and looking at option to use as external box adapter or reroute the cable to internal using the 8088 to 8087 xovers that are available.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Exactly. These cards also have 16 native ports. Most 16 port solutions have SAS expanders built in which may have issues with SAS expanders in a DAS. It is also a very high-performing card.