Building web server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vladimir.mijatovic

Jan 12, 2019
I was asking about these types of CPU's: Gold 5222, Gold 5217, Silver 4215R (3.2Ghz / core ). I added this Silver CPU because it has good speed / core and only has 8 cores. If I understand correctly it is way better to have with less core but with good speed / core. But why is this Silver 4215R CPU is worse than Gold 5222 or even Gold 5217?
I was not able to find any benchmarks on that one, but you assume correct.
Xeon Silver 4215R CPU will likely do much better than Gold 5222 or Gold 5217.

I will have to take a step back back on some Silver Xeons R's as if I recall Intel decided to "Refresh cascade lake" CPUs by upgrading them with a lot better clock speeds (more like "rebranding" a solid Gold "previous-lake" to refreshed Silver or Platinum to Gold).
This Intel® Xeon® Silver 4215R Processor (11M Cache, 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications looks very decent.

You stated a legit concern about i9 not being a "server" CPU. That is mostly due to no support for ECC. I wrote couple of lines about that here Which are the fastest CPUs for PHP websites like Wordpress and Magento / Development - Klik-MALL.com
under "Does it matter that i9 CPUs do not support ECC memory?"
If it's a single-machine setup as yours, you are right, go for something with ECC ram.

Jaguaras

Aug 27, 2020
I was not able to find any benchmarks on that one, but you assume correct.
Xeon Silver 4215R CPU will likely do much better than Gold 5222 or Gold 5217.

I will have to take a step back back on some Silver Xeons R's as if I recall Intel decided to "Refresh cascade lake" CPUs by upgrading them with a lot better clock speeds (more like "rebranding" a solid Gold "previous-lake" to refreshed Silver or Platinum to Gold).
This Intel® Xeon® Silver 4215R Processor (11M Cache, 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications looks very decent.

You stated a legit concern about i9 not being a "server" CPU. That is mostly due to no support for ECC. I wrote couple of lines about that here Which are the fastest CPUs for PHP websites like Wordpress and Magento / Development - Klik-MALL.com
under "Does it matter that i9 CPUs do not support ECC memory?"
If it's a single-machine setup as yours, you are right, go for something with ECC ram.
Yes this 4215R looks decent but it's supports only freq. 2400 is this huge thing comparing to 5222 which has freq. 2933? And why AMD 7262 is a bad CPU? I see it has 8C/16T with 3.2Ghz, It looks like we could compare Intel 4215R vs AMD 7262 as they would be pretty the same? And AMD supports up to 3200 freq. it just because of power consumption? or is there other reasons? In your CPU SKU map I saw several AMD CPU's but they had much higher core counts. Like 16, 24 etc. Will take a look about ECC ram thanks!

Jaguaras

Aug 27, 2020
@vladimir.mijatovic I am a little bit confused about BOSS controler card. I just talked with dell sales man and he told me that BOSS controler only for boot optimisation and nothing more... before his statement I thought that BOSS controler is the same like SATA + SSD, instead of sata it uses pci-e for faster performance. So what do the BOSS controler actualy do?