Building new server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tknx

May 21, 2019
Current system: is Unraid for Plex, VM for Minecraft, and a couple of dockers (Unifi, PiHole, etc)
  • Supermicro 826 2u case
  • Supermicro X9DRi-LN4+ motherboard
  • Dual Xeon 2650 v2s
  • Lots of RAM
I bought a Quadro P2000 and a Supermicro 846 case to move everything over.

So the question is can I get a quieter and lower power system now? I could easily just remove a Xeon and maybe some of the RAM. But would it be worth it for me to go to a Ryzen 3 / XDU type setup? Since the Quadro will be doing the heavy lifting on Plex transcodes I am thinking there is opportunity to reduce CPU etc.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You might want to add some utilization patterns/numbers... Slight difference if your 16 cores idle most of the day or 8 cores are at 100% 24/7.
Same for the memory.

Whats your Base OS?

Easy way is total capability old (16*2,6GHz =41,6) x Utilization percentage (assume 40 so *0,4) - estimated upgrade improvements (P2000 + better tech potentially) [totally depends on percentage of cpu in use by plex]
So 41,6*0,4 = 16,6 -X which means you could easily get a 6 core 3 GHz E3-21/2xx system if your are fine with reduced memory.

Adjust as appropriate:)

Reactions: abq

tknx

May 21, 2019
Is there an unraid docker that I can run that would track this sort of consumption just to see patterns of usage?