Building an ESXi server (1.5/2 k budget)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Con7e

May 23, 2016
Hello,

I am in need of an ESXi server to be able to run 20 virtual routers + 1/2 windows/linux box. Each virtual router has the following requirements:
  • VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.1, or 5.5
  • Single hard disk
  • 8 GB virtual disk
  • 1 virtual CPU, requiring 2.5 GB minimum of RAM
I am planning on installing 64+ GB of Ram and the system would probably be running most of the time, so power efficiency is a must.

Google I found this: Building Energy Efficient ESXi Home Lab - parts list - ESX Virtualization, but I don't really need 4 lan interfaces nor anything storage-related besides "the basics".

Any help on the build would be appreciated!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That type of small E5 v3/v4 system or a Xeon-D

Is it for a lab ? Meaning do you need redundant PSU or can live without ? Do you prefer rack mount or small box ? (Is noise a concern ? Will it be in a datacenter or beside your desk ?
Do you want to build it yourself or prefer something mostly made and assembled ?

If you want a nice powerful, Low power, 10g capable, 128gb ram capable system and don't want to build too much and it's for a lab use in a room where people will be working can't go past the SM Xeon-D mini tower.
Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ATX | 5028D-TN4T
About $1000-1200 and add $200-250 for 128gb and some disks and your set.

Reactions: Sergio and Con7e

Con7e

May 23, 2016
Hi Evan,

Thanks for your reply!

This server will be in my home, so it should be as quiet as possible. The form-factor should be "tower" aka it shouldn't be one of those which you need to mount in a rack. I do not care for redundant power-supplies or whatever.

Actually, if it's already built that's a plus... but it's not mandatory!

In your opinion will that system be powerful enough to run my 20 virtual routers with 1 vCPU for each?

I am currently looking if Supermicro also ships to italy (where I am based).

Thanks again for your suggestion!

EDIT: Looking at the "OS Certification Matrix" on their website they list ony ESXi version 6. Do you know if it will have problems with ESXi v5.5?

EDIT 2: Supermicro does not seem to ship to italy and their "resellers" sell only to companies not to private citizens :(.

Last edited:

Paul Bommel

Oct 30, 2015
Hi Evan,
EDIT: Looking at the "OS Certification Matrix" on their website they list ony ESXi version 6. Do you know if it will have problems with ESXi v5.5?
Look at the OS matrix of the board: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Compatibility Chart
X10SDV-TLN4F supports ESXi 5.5 U2.

EDIT 2: Supermicro does not seem to ship to italy and their "resellers" sell only to companies not to private citizens :(.
With ~50€ shipping fee you could get it from Sona

Ebay might also help.

Reactions: Sergio and Con7e

Con7e

May 23, 2016
Look at the OS matrix of the board: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Compatibility Chart
X10SDV-TLN4F supports ESXi 5.5 U2.

With ~50€ shipping fee you could get it from Sona

Ebay might also help.
This is great information Paul. Thanks a lot!

What do you think about the "power" of the box per-se? Do you think it should be enough for what I need it to do?

EDIT: Which RAM should I buy with this? The list of ram on supermicro's site lists 1-2 makers and that's it... I can't even find them on Amazon.it/de/uk. Is an equivalent from another vendor still ok? What would you suggest?

EDIT 2: For anyone interested, I have found this website: Order a TinkerTry'd Supermicro SuperServer Bundle - powerful and efficient home virtualization lab solutions | TinkerTry IT @ Home which partnered with a US vendor to sell this great box with ram already installed. I think I will be buying this and maxing it out at 128 GB.

Thanks a lot for your imput!

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Wiredzone is a solid seller, memory is pricy but it's assured to work and have one warranty for the whole system.
Heaps of people running ESX 6 on the Xeon-d systems from supermicro, VMware also added in the latest images the 10G network driver for the Xeon-D.

Reactions: Con7e

GenX

May 3, 2016
Just put something similar together last week. Same Supermicro was recommended to me. Had it running v5.5 for about 2 days before I upgraded the lab to v6.0 Everything worked without any issues, so happy with it's performance so far.

I bought the RAM from an Amazon vendor, which was slightly cheaper ($178 vs. $194).

2-node vSphere Refresh Recommendations

Sergio

Dec 17, 2015
This is great information Paul. Thanks a lot!

What do you think about the "power" of the box per-se? Do you think it should be enough for what I need it to do?

EDIT: Which RAM should I buy with this? The list of ram on supermicro's site lists 1-2 makers and that's it... I can't even find them on Amazon.it/de/uk. Is an equivalent from another vendor still ok? What would you suggest?
You should buy only memory sticks listed by Supermicro, like this one:

Samsung 32 GB reg. ECC DDR4 DIMM SDRAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB - Sona

Check the website for the motherboard you want to get.

EDIT 2: For anyone interested, I have found this website: Order a TinkerTry'd Supermicro SuperServer Bundle - powerful and efficient home virtualization lab solutions | TinkerTry IT @ Home which partnered with a US vendor to sell this great box with ram already installed. I think I will be buying this and maxing it out at 128 GB.

Thanks a lot for your imput!
The drawback with Wirezone in Europe you have to add EU VAT to that price, so at the end that box in particular is like 360$ more. Not sure if it's worth it.

I haven't buy yet in Sona.de, but it's my first option right now. If you don't need the Xeon-D 1541 you could buy same parts with a different CPU and it will be tons cheaper than Wirezone. For instance a Xeon-D 1528 (6cores) 64Gb DDR4 (2x32 as the one above) and the Supermicro Case 721tq-250b would be around 1300e vs the price offered by Wirezone. It's really HUGE the gap.

Reactions: Con7e