Building a Lab Part 2 Building Our Network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
Can you, or someone else, point me in the direction of some basic resources so I can understand this? I'm a networking noob and am more comfortable with regular pc parts not advanced networking topics. I do want to learn.
Thanks

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Before I begin, I love your name and the fact that the question and enthusiasm of your post match it makes me very happy lol :)

I am a very visual learner. My learning style is geared around watching and doing. As such, the combination of watching things on YouTube and buying stuff to play with is how I learned.

I think EliTheComputerGuy does a really good job in this old video explaining the layers of networking.
Once you have an understanding of that topic, I think it helps everything else start to make sense. When we are talking about networking specifically, but any system generally, you need to understand at what stage does "X" matter. The OSI model does this for us, and Eli does a good job of explaining it.

The second thing I think worth learning about would be VLANs. Keith Barker does a really good job of helping you visualize this concept.

The next thing I would recommend is to buy an old used enterprise switch, they can be had for under 50 dollars, and in many cases less.
Here is an example of a $26 dollar HP switch. This guy is probably spending more $$ to ship them than he is making on the actual product.

Start trying to break things and figure out how to fix them.
You can follow along with a guide like this one:

It teaches you alot of key important topics. If you have any questions, that's exactly what this community is for. I also try to keep my eye on stuff here, so shoot mme a PM if you want to talk more. Go forth and break stuff and come back with questions! :)

Reactions: Rock

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
Before I begin, I love your name and the fact that the question and enthusiasm of your post match it makes me very happy lol :)
Thanks! My limited time in school taught me that I will always be searching for more knowledge, on many different fronts. I appreciate you thorough response to me questions. I'm working on watching the videos and doing more googling for my questions. I'm sure I'll have more that I need answers to and my google-fu will fail me.

Reactions: nickf1227

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@Nick Fusco

Great and detail write up.

Do you have a network diagram?
I like to follow along and understand the final configuration.

You have a diagram in the last page, I like to see more detail such as IP and VLAN, etc..

Reactions: nickf1227