Building a 10GB home network - switch advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

berchti

Jan 12, 2019
Hey there

I have as similar configuration you are targeting. Important devices are all connected with 10gbe. As I have the pleasure to be conntected with 10gbe to the Internet (Home) I want to be able to use this bandwidth everywhere its needed.

At the moment I have 2 ESX 7 servers and one Baremetal Truenas as storage. On one of the ESX runs a Sophos XG VM (Home Edition), this for over 4 years without any big issues beside no HA and the lack of MTU 9000 support. I even use Site2Site VPN with some other Sophos XGs and of course normal VPN for my family. The configuration is not that complicated especialy compared to eg. PAN-OS :p

I also use the mentioned Mikrotek CRS305-1G-4S+IN with DACS (for the Servers) and 2 10gbe SFTP+ modules. They are getting hot but are running without any issues for some month now....

The Mikrotek is connected to as Netgear GS110EMX with 10gbe which is connected to all other Switches in our Home which do not need 10gbe...

Maybe this helps you a bit, will help you out when you have some more questions :)

Best,
Patrick

GHenschen

Oct 24, 2020
I am using DAC cables and SFP+ NICs with this switch. Maybe the traffic is keeping low, so haven't got so hot yet. But maybe the 10Gbase-T transceivers produce more heat when converting SFP+ to RJ45.
10GBase-T transceivers are known to run hot. This is normal. I purchased Wiiteks and 10GTek based on the reviews in STH. Mine run at 58-65C when in use without cooling interventions. The max operating temp range for the Wiitek is up to 70C and for the 10GTek tops out at 85C. Seeing the operating temps running that close to max temperature is what led me purchasing the $12.99 AC Infinity S3 fan. This fan intervention drops the temps considerably. Transceivers that were too hot to touch more than a second or two can now be touched continuously and only feel warm.

I actually purchased the Microtik to allow me to use a DAC cable to the Netgear MS510TXM which couldn't handle one of the Wiitek transceivers without kicking the fan speed from 2500 rpm to 5000 rpm. Once I switched the Netgear to the much cooler DAC cable the Netgear switch stopped cycling the fan speed between 2500 and 5000 rpm. In essence I used the Microtik to offload heat from the Netgear switch and to provide me three more 10GBase-T ports. With the fan under the Microtik I can run multiple (3 so far) 10Gbase-T transceivers and maintain safer operating temps with virtually no noise.